Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2016
MARION, IL
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
8 days ago, we noticed the pool was just a little hazy - not really cloudy, but it seemed to have lost its luster. We tested everything and began SLAM, including daily brushing. Our CC is never over .5, and I test it every time to be sure. Our CYA is somewhere between 35 and 50 (I still don't quite have the finesse for reading that thing), so we set SLAM FC goal at 20.

Pool has been super sparkly and clear for several days, but we can't pass the OCLT. We got close yesterday at 1.5 loss, but this am was 3.5 loss. Do we continue SLAMing???

Thanks!
Jill

Good morning Jill. You do need to continue until you pass the OCLT. You may have one of two things happening:
1 - You still have algae hiding somewhere that is consuming your FC
2 - Your CYA is actually on the lower end which would require a lower FC. I learned from my own trial & error on OCLTs that more is not always better. So if your CYA is only designed to accommodate 12 FC (as an example), trying to pass an OCLT at 20 or more could result in additional FC loss even with no sunlight.

So I would first rule-out any hiding places for algae (lights, ladders, steps, etc). If you're good there, consider doing an OCLT at about 12-14FC one time. Also, keep practicing with the CYA testing since that a very critical part of all of this as well.

Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Good luck, and thanks for being a TFP supporter!

Oh my goodness! I feel like a jerk. I was exploring old posts and it appears I never replied to any of you for replying with such helpful suggestions. Even though it was last year, I still want to say thank you. If I recall correctly, we thoroughly brushed under the stairs and all around any possible hiding spots, and we also lowered our target FC a bit, and we were able to end slam quickly. So thank you so much for all of your wonderful suggestions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.