Water seems cloudy

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I have been using the TFP method for three months now. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer and hopefully help me solve. I have noticed that when I swim under water that it is very cloudy when I open my eyes without goggles on. If I have goggles on it is very clear. I have never noticed this in non TFP pools and have had several comments made about it this year from others. The second thing I have noticed, since I finally got my pool light back together, is that at night when I turn on the light it is very cloudy. About half the deep end has this hazy white cloud in the water. The farther away from the light the clearer the water looks. Is this normal or do I have other issues? This is an 18x36 with 8 foot deep end, vinyl liner. Here are my recent test results.

FC = 6.0
CC = 0.0
pH = 7.5
TA = 80
CH = 20
CYA = 60
Salt = 400

Your numbers look pretty solid, so assuming this is not an algae issue, perhaps you just need to add a little DE to your sand to help it catch the finer stuff? Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

If the cloudiness persists or gets worse, you may want to do an overnight (OCLT) test to be sure.

I have added the DE in the past but not recently. I may try that once I get back from vacation. My FC has been very predictable. I typically use 2ppm per day (3ppm on very hot sunny days). We had a party last weekend with 10 people in the pool and I only lost 0.5ppm in four hours. I have not done an OCLT since my initial slam back in April. I am sure I will have to slam again once I get back from vacation in a few weeks.

I also plan to take the sand filter apart this fall and make sure nothing is broke. Purchased the house last fall so I have no idea how old the filter is or how it has been taken care of. The last time I used the DE I seemed to have a few piles of it show up in the bottom of the pool. This leads me to believe that some of the "fingers" may be broken in the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.