Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH Test

1. Back To Top    #1

pH Test

I currently use the Tatylor K 1000 test, which came in my TF-100 kit, to test my pH. Is there a more exact test available where I can count drops??? I find it very difficult to match the colors when the shades of pink aren't even close to the test shades. Thanks!
    14.5'x32' irregular shape Pebble Tec SWG pool; 12,000 gal; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter; Pentair IntelliPh Ph Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH Test

If the shade of the liquid is lighter than the lightest one, or darker than the darkest one on the vial, you're too low or too high. In that case, use PoolMath to figure a dose from the highest or lowest (whichever the case may be) pH on the vial to 7.4-7.5 and dose then retest in an hour and repeat until you get in the correct range of 7.2-7.8.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately there is no drop-based testing for pH. It can be a bit tricky at times. Best to find a neutral-colored background to hold your comparator view to. Some like a white piece of paper or wall. For me beige walls work best. Everyone's eyes are a little different. The more you practice and adjust pH up & down you'll begin to separate levels better.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 to the comments from JesseSchmidt.

Some people hold a white paper plate or piece of paper behind the comparison block. Holding it up to the sky also works well with the colors. No drop test as far as I know.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought a pH meter, but you need to check its calibration before every use. No big deal, just keep a gallon of distilled water in a dark closet, set the meter to 7.00 and then test the pool water.

Got it on Amazon.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Interesting. Did you do some side by side testing and expected drop testing when adding acid? I see a few $40-50 PH meters but most are over a hundred and way up. Maybe the cheaper ones are getting better. Or maybe the better ones are getting cheaper.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I always find this VERY helpful

the colors going from low pH to high pH are....

yellow 6.8 and lower

yellow orange 7.0

orange 7.2

orange red 7.4-7.5

red 7.6-7.8

red violet 8.0

violet 8.2 and higher
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Interesting. Did you do some side by side testing and expected drop testing when adding acid? I see a few $40-50 PH meters but most are over a hundred and way up. Maybe the cheaper ones are getting better. Or maybe the better ones are getting cheaper.
    I do still check with the drop test and the results are very close, as long as I check the calibration.

I have this one at $17.50...Amazon.com: Pocket Size pH Meter with ATC and Backlit LCD, 0.05pH High Accuracy, 0-14 pH Measurement Range, 0.01 Resolution Handheld, Measure Household Drinking Water(Red): Home Improvement
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

That one from Amazon is the one I have as well, it is almost always right in line with the k-1000 I would guess it is with in 0.1, variance I calibrate it once a week or so. On occasion (once every couple of weeks) it does get totally stupid and tell me the pH is 8.7 or some other ridiculous number and there seems to be nothing I can do to fix it but strangely when I try again the next day it is back to normal. Other than that quirk I like it over the comparator only only use the Tf-1000 on occasion as a double check.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!