Chance to take a deal on an above ground pool

efranklin

Jul 8, 2016
St. Petersburg, FL
I have a friend moving and the person who bought the house doesn't want the above ground pool. So I have a chance to get a really good deal on a bigger pool. But I know sometimes deals don't always turn out to be deals.

I think the size is about 5 feet high by about 15 feet? I'm not sure but it might be an Embassy pool like this one: http://www.embassypoolsbycarecraft.com/Resources/Documents/EM.Carecraft.Ellipse.pdf It is 4 years old. She got it from this place: Above Ground Swimming Pools

One of the things she mentioned is that she was trying to clean it once and had drained it or part of it. She couldn't resolve whatever the problem was so she called the pool company who had installed it, about a week and a half after she drained it. They told her that with the type of liner she had, it wasn't good for it not be in water and it changes shape or something. So she had to replace the liner, which was $400. I'm going to call the pool company and talk about this liner thing. If I take the pool, obviously, I would have to drain the pool so that liner will be dry for a few days, which I imagine would be fine. I guess I could leave it soaking in my little 10 X 30 Easy Set Intex while I get the frame set up.

She has a new pump but she is using chemicals instead of salt so I need to find out if I can use salt with the pump as I hope to move to salt. And I imagine this pump would be way too powerful for my little pool.

I just finished finally successfully creating a level spot for my Easy Set 10 X 30 pool and set up the pool last weekend. That has been a summer project for several weeks in the heat so I'm not sure I want to jump back into a leveling project. Or at the least I would want to take a weekend off from that. I could also hire someone to make a level spot for me but that is probably going to be out of my budget. On the other hand this is a nice pool and would be year round.

My original plan was to create a level pad during the winter for an Intex 15 X 48 pool, taking my time in cooler weather, and then buy it whenever I catch it on sale, which will probably be next June. If I take this deal from my friend, it would be nice if I could wait a a bit to set this one up but it sounds like I won't be able to preserve the liner. My Powerball ticket was not the winner last night...I'm on a different income than my friend. So replacing a $400 liner is a bigger expense for me than for her. On the other hand, if the frame is going to last for many years, I imagine it would be worth the expense.

I would likely break down the pool myself and put it back up. She mentioned the pool company might take it down and put it up for me, which would be more money. But after some reading tonight, I wonder if it might be under warranty and if so, then maybe I have to let them set it up or else that warranty is voided.

Any thoughts on used pools? What is the life expectancy? I guess it depends on the brand? I'm worried I might be setting myself up for some unexpected financial expenses, especially with getting it set up. Is it more expensive to maintain a more expensive pool? It's hard to pass up such a great deal but maybe that's the best choice for me. She mentioned she had offered it to another friend who, after thinking about it, decided it was not the right time for them to take on the expense.

Thanks.

HI! What an exciting time for you! Here are my thoughts:

-so far we have not seen any liners that could be reused. Many have tried, oh how they tried but all failed for this reason or that-holes do not match up, liner dries out, liner gets tiny holes from being moved, critters chew it while stored, etc.

-Knowing you will have to buy a new liner you could just buy the new pool and let it sit until it is cooler to start working on the relevel and such. That way you can still enjoy the pool you just set up while it is hot. Win-win to me

I would take LOTS of pictures and be the one to take it down with more pics as you go to help you know what goes where. Baggies for the bolts and nuts and such. Clean the walls real good, let it dry good then roll it up and bungee cord it closed and maybe tape it as well.

The wall will be VERY heavy and hard to work with. Have lots of friends and a trailer to put it on. Have a place set picked out to put the wall until it cools down enough to get the yard ready for the pool.

So in short-by the new pool knowing Santa will need to bring a new liner when you are ready to put it up. Enjoy the work you did on the old pool while it is hot!

:kim:

HI! What an exciting time for you! Here are my thoughts:

-so far we have not seen any liners that could be reused. Many have tried, oh how they tried but all failed for this reason or that-holes do not match up, liner dries out, liner gets tiny holes from being moved, critters chew it while stored, etc.

-Knowing you will have to buy a new liner you could just buy the new pool and let it sit until it is cooler to start working on the relevel and such. That way you can still enjoy the pool you just set up while it is hot. Win-win to me

I would take LOTS of pictures and be the one to take it down with more pics as you go to help you know what goes where. Baggies for the bolts and nuts and such. Clean the walls real good, let it dry good then roll it up and bungee cord it closed and maybe tape it as well.

The wall will be VERY heavy and hard to work with. Have lots of friends and a trailer to put it on. Have a place set picked out to put the wall until it cools down enough to get the yard ready for the pool.

So in short-by the new pool knowing Santa will need to bring a new liner when you are ready to put it up. Enjoy the work you did on the old pool while it is hot!

Thanks--I had the same two thoughts--lots of little plastic baggies to keep track of parts and yes, lots of pictures. I also thought about a big plastic container to keep the pieces in but they probably would not fit. Good tip on bungee cords. That sounds better. I have one friend with a truck but not sure if he has a hitch so perhaps I'll rent a truck from Home Depot for the transport.

You have given me some hope of going for this deal. Lots to think about. Such a short time to decide. And yes, Santa will be here in a few months. :)

Thanks. again.

An overlap liner is probably the easiest and least expensive liner to diy install. I would take the pool and do the needed prep over the winter. There are plenty of how to install videos on YouTube. If you decide you don't want the pool you can always pass it on to someone else!

Thanks everyone. I did decide to take the pool. It is a Yorkshire 15 X 48 round pool. Found out from the pool shop the liner is $143. (Or I could get one with a print of a waterfall for $202.) I'm good with plain blue. He also said I would need plastic coping, which is 99 cents a piece and I'll need 24 pieces. He said I may need a new gasket and skimmer/return.

I mentioned to the pool guy that I might want to use salt and he said that would ruin the pool in three or four years, where it has a 10 or 15 year life expectancy if I use chemicals. Since I've read lots of messages about the pool shops on here, I didn't flinch. The new pump was just purchased in May and they were not able to find the receipt for it in the pool shop records to tell me what kind it was. But I went by tonight and took pictures. It says it is a Carefree high rate sand filter. Guess it is connected with a Hi-Flo II 48-Frame pump. It also says Waterway on it..."Insulated Web End Pump." So need to research that and using salt.

The pool shop guy also told me the warranty is with the person and not the pool so I'll have no warranty. Yet I see a Yorkshire pool posted tonight on the local Craigslist where the guy says the warranty is transferable. I'm getting a good deal on it and the pool is 4 years old so not really worried about it. Think he also said if I order a liner online, they installers wouldn't install it or something about if I order it online. I'm okay with that. :)

I took pictures of each rail tonight as a whole, the bottom at the ground and the connection at top--three or four pictures of each connection at the top, including underneath.

He said I could have the people who installed it uninstall it for me and then reinstall it. If I took it apart myself, I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something about the installers would not set it back up because they didn't take it down and I might lose a part.

I feel confident I will do my best to keep all parts. I will have a box of plastic baggies. I think I may take a Sharpie marker and number each rail and then put all pieces for that rail in one bag or maybe even a plastic shoe box for the pieces that don't fit in the plastic baggies. I'll label each plastic bag and each plastic shoe box.

So far, I'm on my own with this but I have more friends to reach out to. I have a few friends suffering from rotator cuff and knee injuries...I have one friend with a Toyota RAV4 who has a hitch. I'm thinking about asking her if I rent a U-Haul trailer, if she would be willing to drive the pool home for me. How heavy is this going to be? Would that be too much drag on her car? Should we do two or three trips? It's not that far so multiple trips would be okay. Better off trying to get a truck/van from Home Depot or U-Haul?

As far as cleaning the walls well, I imagine it's okay to do that at home than there. Of course I will clean them enough for the trip but will probably do a bigger scrub at home.

My friend suggested I bring a couple of hoses for draining. She said when it gets down to about a foot, I would be able to take a couple of pieces of the side off and then cut the liner and let it drain into the yard, away from the house. Any idea how long it takes a pool this size to drain? I'm thinking about setting it up to drain tomorrow night after work so maybe I'm ready to go on Saturday morning?

I haven't done my research yet on the pump and sand filter and I will but is there anything special to do if it is going into storage?

I will have more friends to help when I get ready to put this back up. Just bad timing needing to do this within a matter of days in the middle of summer when everyone is out of town on vacation or injured.

Thanks for all your help.

Swimming Pool Supplies, Pool Safety Cover, Swimming Pool Covers, Swimming Pool Pumps, Pool Pump Parts - INYOPools.com

See that link ^^^ They have awesome C.S. AND if you mention you are from TFP you get white glove service AND if you become a supporting member of TFP you get a discount CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! there and on the test kit you are going to need to keep both pools Trouble Free!

I am so excited for you! You are know you already like having a pool now you will have one forever!

The wall weight? I bet inyopool could tell you that info. or at least give you a ball park figure to see if your friend's car can handle it but I am pretty sure it is in the low hundreds as it only took 4 adults to pick up our wall and my pool is a 33' round so a little bigger than yours.

The filter-you may just want to take the sand out and start over just because it is going to be HEAVY with the sand in it and I cannot really think of a easy way to move it :( I guess you could fill up empty trash cans but where will you put them until you are ready to put the pool up? Pool sand is not that expensive. It is up to you. I just wanted you to be ready.

On and look around in inyopool..........they have many how to places and one is putting up a pool!

- - - Updated - - -

opps no idea how long it will take to drain. Any way you can get the hoses started at lunch or early after noon just to get it started?

Storage of pump and such............nothing special really. Well marked so you do not forget what is in the bag and someone throw it out :shock:

Great. Thanks very much! I found this video last night: Dismantling Storing an Above Ground Round Pool - YouTube so it seems like it might take 6 hours to drain and 6 hours to take apart. So I'm going by to drain it tonight. I have one person to help so far. Working on finding more. I have a friend with an F150 who has offered to transport it for me. So hopefully I can find a couple more people to help us lift. Starting to think more about the logistics.

The pool is in the backyard. There is a gate for the fence. Soooo....we have to get a rolled up pool from the backyard to the frontyard and then probably out to the street to get it in the truck. When I was there yesterday, they had a U-Haul parked in the driveway because well, they are busy moving.

So I may have no other option but once we have this thing rolled up, okay to roll it to get it to a vehicle for transport? I've got a dolly but I'm guessing this is going to be too heavy for that.

I did read or perhaps it was in that video where they said to dump the sand from the sand filter. Think I will just spread that sand around where the pool was.

Thanks very much for your help. As for my little pool, it is cloudy so you will be hearing more from me but not until I can give better test results. :) I have a new test kit arriving today. Have just been using bleach so went off bleach for a day and that seemed to reduce the yellow, or chlorine on my cheap test kit. So being completely ignorant, I decided that maybe with all the sunshine we've been having, it might be eating up the bleach during the day so I added more bleach this morning. Tonight I will pick up the test kit and will be able to give better test results....although tomorrow I will be busy picking up the big pool and giving it a new forever home. :)

The only thing I worry about rolling the wall is scratches and such. If you have a tarp or such you can wrap it around the wall. You could use a blanket or sheet but better make sure it is not a "good" one so you do not get in "trouble" LOL

Seems as if you set. Take your time and drink LOTS of water during and beer after! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the tip on the tarp. I can make a rolling carpet, starting with the tarp then roll to an old sleeping bag then put the tarp in front the sleeping bag and so on.

I have two friends now to help with the take down. I'm concerned about how heavy it is going to be so I hired some movers just to move it from the one location to another. That's more than I expected it to be so looking into other options there. But I have to consider I'm getting a deal. I'm scared we will get it taken down and won't be able to move it. I need to have it off the property this weekend so.... gonna check in with INYO to see if I can find the weight.

Thanks again.

If you roll it up fairly tight you can dolly it upright. Also if you have an inch and half vacuum hose you can siphon the water out fast (fill hose, cap end with your hand and pull hose to ground).

Okay, thanks. So with three, maybe four people and a UHaul truck we should be able to handle it right? Gonna check in with my helpers and see if they are okay with that. If the movers wanted to charge half the price for the 30 minutes of work they will actually do would be more willing to pay....

Thanks again.

My wife and I did ours just the 2 of us, 15 X 54 pool. 3 or four people would be great. You want to avoid putting a crease in the wall. I took the old pool down myself but I didn't care if the wall folded it was scrap. Now putting the new one up was more of a challenge.

Okay awesome. Thanks very much. Waiting to hear back from my friends that they are good with moving it and then will cancel the movers. I told them the people on this forum said we could do it. I am going to be very careful about rolling it up. I'm so excited for this pool.

But not excited enough to rush into a leveling project for it. That will happen in a few months when it gets cooler. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.