Mustard Algae Issue

MDTroy

Jul 26, 2016
West River, MD
Hi. I, recently, noticed what I believe is MA growing on the sides of my plaster 15000 gal pool. I've been using your method for two years now with no issues but I believe the algae started because my FC got too low after my fusion 2 mineral cartridge failed. I've been slamming for days now but still have overnight cl loss. I realize slamming indicates maintaining but I'm unable to maintain during the day. Am I wasting my time and money then? Basically, I raise to about 16ppm overnight and when I return later in the day it's down to around 5ppm and I shock again. My CYA, i believe is between 20 and 30. Thanks for help.

You are not wasting time and money.

One way to think of it is what are your options? Off to the pool store for "magic potions"? Of course not. Chlorine will clear up your pool but it doesn't sound like you are using enough of it.

If you are saying you can't add to the pool during the day, at least add to the pool 3 times daily..AM. Afternoon and bedtime. That will clear your pool but not quite as quickly.

Follow the SLAM procedure. Review it again. It sounds like you are being half-hearted with the process. Brush, vacuum, clean your filter and chlorinate!

Troy, welcome to TFP! :wave: One other thing to consider ...... how confident are you about that CYA? Since the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006 tests only go down to 30, anything below that is really a best-guess scenario. So definitely make sure you have at least a CYA of 30 to protect that FC from the sun. With a CYA of 30, your SLAM FC level would only be "12" and not 16. Going too high also lends itself to losing FC quicker and becomes a waste. So keep those two things in mind and go from there. Let us know if you have any questions. Nice to have you with us.

Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Okay, so let me get this right. Although, my FC will drop below shock level throughout the process. As long as I bring it back to shock level at least 3 different times within 24 hours, this can still be effective. My concern is that not being able to maintain shock level was allowing the algae to rejuvenate. My water is crystal clear and no signs of growth since slamming but still have overnight FC loss and 0.5 CC. Next issue is im leaving on Saturday for a few days. Suggestions while I'm gone. I was hoping to resolve by then but not looking good. Thanks for quick responses.

Yes ideally you want to bring it back to shock level whenever it drops below -you can retest every couple of hours and this will in theory make the process go quicker. The problem with this approach is that you need to be able to test and add accordingly - can be time consuming and you need to pool-sit. So the testing in the morning, after work and before bed is a reasonable regime for most of us who work.

0.5CC is acceptable. Have you got anybody who could add chlorine and/or test when you away?

When I did my my mustard slam, I maintained the higher mustard shock level the ENTIRE time instead of just
doing it near the end...yes it cost me a bit more in bleach, but it was done start to finish in 10 days.

You are brushing the entire surface every day & running the pump 24/7 yes?

It did help that I happened to have that week off for vacation and was home the entire time.

You might add more than the mustard shock level, like 10 ppm more just to get a bit of an edge on it.
Some might consider that wasteful, but I believe that might help in your situation.

Thanks for reply. I don't have anyone to pool sit and test but could dump in some chlorine. I was thinking about using my tab feeder while I was gone since my cya is low anyhow. Thoughts?
That won't work. You should only use liquid chlorine during the SLAM. You must dose back up to 16 ppm and the tabs have no way of doing that.

As for using the pucks (and having neighbor add LC in the evening), I just thought that would help keep the FC from dropping to zero while I'm gone thus keeping the algae in check till I get back to continue slamming. It's been a few days since started slamming and haven't had any signs of growth although FC has dropped as low as 5ppm at times while I'm at work. I was hoping to inhibit growth while gone and begin slamming again when I return. Or should I just stop slamming now and save the LC and start over when I return?

What should I expect to spend? If I was to keep the FC shock level up 24/7 for days or weeks at $5/bottle of liquid chlorine seems excessive. I would think it would cost me at least $40 a day. If it takes a week or more, I'm looking at nearly $300 to get rid of the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It costs what it costs, but you'll learn from it not to allow it to happen again hopefully (as i did / from trying bio-active cya remover).
In the long term the tfp care will save you $$ anyway so best to think of it on that term.

As long as you stay on the shock levels, you won't be wasting any bleach. Letting it drift down under will
and need even more to eradicate it fully.

I also had the pressure of showing the home/pool 2 weeks later to sell it, that made me REAL nervous.
Turned out it was done 1 week prior and all the folks that looked at the pool commented how great
the water looked.

I went through 27 gallons of 8.25% store bought generic plain bleach during my mustard slam and that
was staying on it constantly. (19,000 gallon pool, CYA at 80...that didn't help)

Make sure you get plain bleach, no scented or splash free that has additives you don't want.

$ 5 seems a bit spendy. the referenced bleach I bought was $ 2.88 a gallon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.