Looking to switch over from Bromine to SWG.

norbie

Aug 21, 2007
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello All,

I've been reading through multiple threads on how to convert to a swg swimming pool. I live in central Massachusetts and next spring I'm probably looking to replace my liner for my in ground pool. I currently use bromine and thought the conversion would go smoother if after draining the pool and replacing the liner I also replaced the filtration system. I was looking into the Hayward AquaRite Pro and AquaPlus systems. I've been researching the systems for a couple days now and I'm totally confused as far as what hardware I would need to accomplish switching over to a salt water system. I guess at this point I was looking for a little advice, I do consider myself handy enough to do the installation myself (with TFP's help of course) but I just need some help as far as what equipment you guys recommend.

Thank You in advance.
:confused:

Changing to a salt (chlorine) pool can only be done when going from bromine with nearly a complete drain, so yes, doing so when you change the liner is the way to go.

Is your filter working well now and not falling apart or in need of major repair? I would keep it.

The one thing that can be an advantage with an SWG is having a variable speed or two-speed pump. With manual chlorination, daily pump run times can be as low as 3-4 hours. However, the pump must be running for the SWG to chlorinate the pool. SWG owners usually have to run their pumps for longer so a more energy efficient pump that can run at lower speeds saves a lot of money in the long run.

When purchasing a SWG unit, oversize by 2x your pool volume. Make sure the SWG unit you buy, in your case, is rated for 40K gallons or more. This also serves an economical purpose. Every SWG has a rated pounds of chlorine per day. The higher that number, the less time you need to run the SWG to add enough daily chlorine. This also reduces the length of time you need to run the SWG, reducing the necessary daily pump run time.

Consider any timers or automation you'd like to have or already have. Will it integrate with your SWG upgrade well?

Thank you for the response JVTrain, I currently have a older ec65a de filter and some PVC piping which wouldn't hurt to be replaced. So basically what I'm looking at when I switch over is upgrading my single speed pump to a variable speed Hayward TriStar pump, use my existing DE filter, and I'm currently looking at the aqua plus system which will give me from what I understand the option to control my pump, pools chemistry, and heaters (if I choose to purchase one in the future). I looked at the installation instructions and I think I can handle it (electrical is already run on a dedicated circuit to the pool house).
At this point I'm going to start pricing out my system for the spring so I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.