Manual testing vs AquaRite Pro readings?

Jul 28, 2016
France
Hi,

We have a pool that has been maintained by a company for some time, but we have reason to believe that they do a sloppy job. I would like to the maintenance myself from now if possible. The pool is equipped with a AquaRite Pro SWG with a Sense & Dispense ORP/pH controller.

I just checked some readings on the AquaRite, and then did some manual testing with strips (2 different brands) and they don't match up at all. Does this mean the AquaRite or ORP controller is badly calibrated?

Aquarite readings on-screen:
pH: 7,3
ORP: 665mV
Salt level: 3,6g/L=3600ppm (which according to the AquaRite manual should be between 2,8 and 3,4g/L)
-24,02V -6,77A (I understand that this is a measure of chlorine production, driven by the measured ORP)
27degrees Celcius (80 degrees Fahrenheit)

Manual testing with strips (I used 2 different brands which gave more or less the same results)
pH: 6,5-6,8
FC: >10ppm
TC: >10ppm
Alkalinity: 80
Hardness: 250
CYA: 0

It's these FC, TC and CYA values that make me wonder if the AquaRite is badly calibrated?

Re: Manual testing or Aquarite/Sense&Dispense readings?

Do some searching on test strips in the Forum, you will find that they are not trusted at all. You need to get one of the recommended test kits to be able to move forward with maintaining the pool yourself. Tf100 or the Taylor check the recommended test kits wage in pool school

I agree with what mgmoore7 says about the test strips and getting a good test kit. ORP and pH sensors need to be calibrated on a regular basis. Doesn't mean they are a bad thing, just maintenance that needs to be done. Do you know when the last time they were calibrated? Do you have the calibration solutions on hand to do it yourself? And do you know how to calibrate them yourself? Those are the answers you need to work through this problem. I would get a good test kit, post haste. That way you are sure of what the levels are and can make adjustments to your chemistry manually until you can figure out the electronics part.

Ok so I did some more testing, this time with a professional grade kit and vials, and the pH reading seems to match the AquaRite one. Chloride however is still off the charts (testing kit only has colour gradations up to 3ppm and my testing vial is much darker, meaning chloride much higher)

The problem still boils down to this then:
- why is the chloride level so high? 5-10ppm
- why is the salt level too high? 3600ppm
- when I thought all this was supposed to be regulated by the ORP reading of my SWG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.