Chattanooga/TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I'm a first-time pool owner. We're taking possession of the house/pool next Friday. The pool has been "maintained" by a "professional" pool company once a week, 52 weeks a year (no closings). I've been testing the water on my own to get a feel for the way it's been taken care of and am less than pleased. CYA is obviously high. pH is off as the FC is too high to get an accurate reading. My question is this, based on the CYA level, will be I be OK to let the FC level drop when I switch over to SWCG without lowering the CYA via drain or hammering it with higher levels of FC to reduce it? I saw this: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and it leads me to believe it *might* be OK once I make the switch to saltwater. Will higher salt levels at the get-go also help to break it down? I read this paper that seems to indicate salt might decompose CYA at a 3.5% salt solution. Obviously I don't want my salt ppm that high, but wondering if anyone else has any info on CYA decomposition at lower levels of salt: http://aem.asm.org/content/28/6/1004.full.pdf

Readings from the pool currently:

• FC: 14.5 ppm
  • CC: .5 ppm
  • TC: 15 ppm
  • CH: 225 ppm
  • CYA: 90-95 ppm - based on the TF-100 test being logarithmic and result being between the two but much closer to the 90 line on the graduated cylinder
  • pH: 7.5 - obviously off since high FC, but assuming it is actually a bit higher based on FC lowering pH
  • TA: 70 ppm
  • Temp: 85° F

Thanks for any and all input!

your CYA is not that high for SWG pool, I'd just let it drop on its own and maintain FC level at 5 - 7 for now. I'd perform OCLT at the first opportunity to ensure nothing eats your chlorine. The rest is good so if anything you're getting clean pool, count yourself lucky :).

While the CYA is slightly high for even a SWG, as long as the water is in good shape without any algae or cloudiness, you look pretty good. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You might consider using rain water to slowly exchange a bit of water over the off season to drop the CYA easily.

Retest your pH when the FC drops.

Yes, it is fine to switch over to SWG. CYA degrades in a pool at a rate of 2-3 ppm per month and up to 5 ppm during hot months.

Yes, thanks for supporting TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.