Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for saltwater switch-over advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for saltwater switch-over advice

I'm a first-time pool owner. We're taking possession of the house/pool next Friday. The pool has been "maintained" by a "professional" pool company once a week, 52 weeks a year (no closings). I've been testing the water on my own to get a feel for the way it's been taken care of and am less than pleased. CYA is obviously high. pH is off as the FC is too high to get an accurate reading. My question is this, based on the CYA level, will be I be OK to let the FC level drop when I switch over to SWCG without lowering the CYA via drain or hammering it with higher levels of FC to reduce it? I saw this: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and it leads me to believe it *might* be OK once I make the switch to saltwater. Will higher salt levels at the get-go also help to break it down? I read this paper that seems to indicate salt might decompose CYA at a 3.5% salt solution. Obviously I don't want my salt ppm that high, but wondering if anyone else has any info on CYA decomposition at lower levels of salt: http://aem.asm.org/content/28/6/1004.full.pdf

Readings from the pool currently:

• FC: 14.5 ppm
    • CC: .5 ppm
    • TC: 15 ppm
    • CH: 225 ppm
    • CYA: 90-95 ppm - based on the TF-100 test being logarithmic and result being between the two but much closer to the 90 line on the graduated cylinder
    • pH: 7.5 - obviously off since high FC, but assuming it is actually a bit higher based on FC lowering pH
    • TA: 70 ppm
    • Temp: 85 F

Thanks for any and all input!
    25k outdoor in-ground 18'x36' vinyl pool; Jandy TruClear SWCG; Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP WFE-3 pump; Sta-Rite S8M150 System:3 Modular Media 450 sqft filter; Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF1103T
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for saltwater switch-over advice

your CYA is not that high for SWG pool, I'd just let it drop on its own and maintain FC level at 5 - 7 for now. I'd perform OCLT at the first opportunity to ensure nothing eats your chlorine. The rest is good so if anything you're getting clean pool, count yourself lucky .
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

While the CYA is slightly high for even a SWG, as long as the water is in good shape without any algae or cloudiness, you look pretty good. FC/CYA Chart

You might consider using rain water to slowly exchange a bit of water over the off season to drop the CYA easily.

Retest your pH when the FC drops.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

In case I didn't say so already, thanks for becoming a supporter!!

When you see 90+ for CYA, follow #9 in this link to be sure that you're not higher.
    Pool School - CYA
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it is fine to switch over to SWG. CYA degrades in a pool at a rate of 2-3 ppm per month and up to 5 ppm during hot months.

Yes, thanks for supporting TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
    25k outdoor in-ground 18'x36' vinyl pool; Jandy TruClear SWCG; Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP WFE-3 pump; Sta-Rite S8M150 System:3 Modular Media 450 sqft filter; Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF1103T
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit