New to TFP - Can't seem to get it right!

...you will not regret it! good luck!
Thanks! People have already been SO helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

i hope you are using the 0.5ppm method
no need for extreme accuracy during the slam
use the extended directions where each drop equals 0.5ppm
your test kit will last much longer
Pool School - FAS-DPD Chlorine Test
I am, thanks! I made that mistake the first time I did the test and realized I'd need a refill pretty quick so I switched to the 0.5ppm method.

looks pretty :) As was advised in another thread try to take pics daily from the same angle at the same time of day to monitor progress. When testing FC (and with this color I wouldn't worry about anything else) you can dilute the pool water sample with tap water 1:3, mix and then test the mix as usual using 10mL sample. This would give you 2 ppm/drop resolution as at SLAM levels you might run out of reagent.

Max, your thoughts are good, and you need to mention the FC in the tap water. It's also fair to mention the amount of error with a 3:1 dilution. Agreed it's little compared to the level of FC. To OP, if you do this, be careful measuring water, and test your tap water (could be anywhere from about 0.7 to 4 ppm FC). I agree it would save on titrating reagent.

An accepted method is to use a 5 ml pool water sample, and then 1 drop = 1 ppm FC and a 5 ml pipette is the best thing to have for this. (pharmacy or pet store). When you get to the OCLT, you have to use the 10 ml sample, but prior to that, these are techniques to save on reagent, so you won't run out in the middle of it.

Perfect option is to order a 2 oz bottle of R-0871 FAS Titrating Reagent, and not worry about running out.

Glad you're underway with the SLAM. MMMaintain many times the first day, and 4 times a day after; the more often, the quicker the SLAM.

Brush often and seek out algae hiding places and make sure they get scrubbed and soaked in pool water or stronger.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it does look better- I can now see the third step in the corner and it lost its green war color- algae is losing the fight for your pool :)
I think the best angle to take 'progress' pics is over the steps- they go gradually deeper so you can get better feeling of water clarity as time goes by. Pics from deep end won't reveal that until your water really clears up so you can start seeing bottom again.

Yep! You can't see it in the picture, but the algae was waving a white flag in surrender... :cool:

I took that picture this morning around 10:00; we were out of town all day and when we came back (around 7:00) the water was even bluer. FC went down a bit (FC-16, CYA-60), so I poured in more bleach to bring it back up to shock level. That algae is going DOWN!!

Thanks for the tip on progress pics... if it helps with feedback, I'll do it! The feedback has been so helpful throughout this process and I'm really grateful to you TFP peeps for being supportive and awesome!

Great, thanks! I'll try that next time. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I was talking with my husband about this last night. He read that page (Add DE to a Sand Filter) but he was confused about it... He said it didn't sound like enough DE for 300 lbs of sand. Is it just a couple of cups that need to be added?

Yup. When you start out, you add a half cup at a time until your "clean" psi rises 1psi. Once you know how much DE that is, you can just add that every time you backwash. My pool/filter takes 2 cups. Easy peasy. It's just when you first figure it out, it may take a couple of hours of "home" time.

- - - Updated - - -

Just reread TFP's recommendations. They say 1/4 C at a time. With the size of your pool, you could start with 1/2C and then go with 1/4C at half hour intervals.

It doesn't take much because the method just adds a bit of DE between the grains of sand and mostly right near the top of the sand inside the filter.

When you backwash, you see it all come out at the beginning through the sight-glass on the backwash outlet. Then you replace the small amount of DE, and it's working again until next time you backwash. I have a 10 lb box of DE that might outlast me, haha!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.