2 week vacation - Float + pucks?

Change

Jun 25, 2016
Manchester, MI
Hi all, I'm on year 4 of our intex 9x18 and I use 10% bleach for daily maintenance. Water is great this year, had one algae bloom early on but quickly slammed it and have been great the last 6 weeks.

However, we're leaving on a 2 week vacation this weekend and I don't want to return to problems. The pool holds ~6200 gallons and I'm running the intex 3000GPH sand filter. I plan to run it 8-12 hours per day while we're away.

I purchased a chlorine float and a bucket of 3" pucks. How many pucks should I place in the float? Should I just fill it (holds 5) and put it on half flow setting?

Thanks!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

At the bottom of PoolMath you can see what those pucks will add to your pool.

A lot of folks who know they'll be away at times run their CYA lower than normal to allow for the rise from vacation use pucks.

Another option is to bring it up to SLAM level, cover it for the 2 weeks, and hope for the best when you return. If problems arise you know what to do :)

Have a great vacay!

Hi all, I'm on year 4 of our intex 9x18 and I use 10% bleach for daily maintenance. Water is great this year, had one algae bloom early on but quickly slammed it and have been great the last 6 weeks.

However, we're leaving on a 2 week vacation this weekend and I don't want to return to problems. The pool holds ~6200 gallons and I'm running the intex 3000GPH sand filter. I plan to run it 8-12 hours per day while we're away.

I purchased a chlorine float and a bucket of 3" pucks. How many pucks should I place in the float? Should I just fill it (holds 5) and put it on half flow setting?

Thanks!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum!

What is your current CYA level?

Five 8oz trichlor pucks will add 27ppm to your CYA, and provide about 44ppm FC. I don't use pucks so I'm not too sure how slow they dissolve.

If this were my pool I would bring it to shock level, float some pucks based on my CYA situation, & cover to minimize FC loss.

Dom

Welcome to TFP Change :wave:

How big a pool is it ?? Any chance you have a neighbor or friend you'd trust to do some testing and treating ?? Or even just a simple "blind" addition occasionally based on your past usage ?? That full water testing kit can be very intimidating but having someone get a sample in the pH/FC tester and adding 5 drops isn't all that hard. They wouldn't even need to do pH as all you're looking for is not coming back to a green monster !!
If you find someone, hook them up with this site and we can help them with any questions while you're away.

Please add your pool and equipment info to your signature as outlined here: Pool School - Getting Started

Those pucks take a long time to disolve. I tied my floater with fishing line so it stayed in the middle of the pool so as not to bleach the liner. Went on vacation for one week and still had little bit left in floater.

Glad to hear it. I normally run my pool up to SLAM levels, and then add a floater on the lowest setting with two pucks in it when we go away for a week. They don't even dissolve all the way. The CYA added by maybe a total of 3 pucks a year in my pool is mitigated by spash out, rainfall, and lowering the water at closing.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.