Should I treat my equipment when SLAMming?

Jul 26, 2016
Southern VT
Two days ago found this site. Loving it and so impressed with the sharing of information.

I am SLAMming pool for early algae outbreak and thinking I should submerge all pool equipment in high FC pool water during the process so that when using it post treatment, spores are not introduced.

I know the algae spores are all around in the environment and the pool water conditions need to be conducive to allow algae to grow, but I feel the need to be extra careful considering the effort (though super effective and appropriate) Just gone through.

Are adequate FC levels along with all other parameters in normal range (post SLAM) enough to PREVENT an algae outbreak even with my introduction of "contaminated" equipment? My brain is fried with so much new information to process I cant figure it out myself. Thanks so much. You ALL are so awesome.

Welcome to TFP:wave:

Treating your equipment isn't a bad idea......like hose and vacuum head but in all honesty those probably aren't harboring algae.

The thing about SLAM is you need to brush and find where algae hides......like behind light and return faceplates. I only this last weekend realized there was foam backing on my skimmer wier door (it broke off). I have crystal clear water but that foam had some algae........algae waiting for my FC to drop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.