Bought house w/ pool, Un-Maintained for over a month

Bought house with an amazing pool. Picture was from the home listing (not current)

Pool.jpg

When the sellers accepted the offer, they moved out (I assume they stopped servicing the pool as well), fast forward 6-7 weeks later, we closed on the house. The pool bottom and walls are dirty (algae or just dirt, no idea). I used the test kit (first time ever) and here are the results.

FC - 0
TC - 0
pH - 7.9
TA - 111
CH - 250
CYA - 61

Do I SLAM the pool or just add chlorine (bleach). We want to use the pool this weekend (how likely is that?)

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... how long that process takes depends on how well you maintain the FC levels, brushing, and filtration.

Which test kit? How did you get a CYA of 61 or a TA of 111? Those are not possible numbers with the recommended test kits.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I did... but the signature wont save or show up...

15,250 Gallon - Above Ground - Pebble - Installed 2007 - Jandy DE Filter (DEL Series) - Jandy Stealth Series Pumps (Single Speed SHPF) - Taylor K2006 Testing Kit - SPA - Polaris480PRO

TA was 110, typo
Ill have to go check the CYA Again.. tomorrow. We haven't moved yet and I am at my old house.

Edit... Oh there it is.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah that does not look too bad at all, you can even see the bottom, good luck and keep us posted, you should be swimming in no time. If you have any questions just ask and someone should get you an answer soon.

Ike

Ok. Things didn't go as planned. Moving sucks. Started yesterday morning.

Retested CYA at 50. Target shock at 20 FC. It's been at 18-20 ppm for 2 days with a few jugs of bleach. Just brought it back up to 20 tonight and we will see what happens in the morning.

Questions

When I add R003 I never see a change.

Also when I dilute the sample how can I be super precise. A difference of 1 on the scale is multiplied by a factor of 5.

I'm using the Taylor-2005 kit. Taylor Technologies K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

Am I supposed to be using powder?
You're going to need to use the Taylor K2006 or TF Test Kits TF100 kits to really know what's going on. These are FAS-DPD kits, and will be able to tell you what you need to know for a SLAM. The DPD-only kits like the 2005 can't read FC levels as high as you're needing for the SLAM.

your sig says K2006 and I have the same kit so you fill test tube to half of 10mL mark with pool water and then follow instructions of the kit: powder to turn it pink and then R0871 drop wise until it becomes colorless. Each drop would be equivalent to 1 ppm give or take.

I'm not familiar with K2005 kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.