Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought house w/ pool, Un-Maintained for over a month

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought house w/ pool, Un-Maintained for over a month

Bought house with an amazing pool. Picture was from the home listing (not current)

Pool.jpg

When the sellers accepted the offer, they moved out (I assume they stopped servicing the pool as well), fast forward 6-7 weeks later, we closed on the house. The pool bottom and walls are dirty (algae or just dirt, no idea). I used the test kit (first time ever) and here are the results.

FC - 0
    TC - 0
    pH - 7.9
    TA - 111
    CH - 250
    CYA - 61

Do I SLAM the pool or just add chlorine (bleach). We want to use the pool this weekend (how likely is that?)

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bought house w/ pool, Un-Maintained for over a month

Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process ... how long that process takes depends on how well you maintain the FC levels, brushing, and filtration.

Which test kit? How did you get a CYA of 61 or a TA of 111? Those are not possible numbers with the recommended test kits.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I did... but the signature wont save or show up...

15,250 Gallon - Above Ground - Pebble - Installed 2007 - Jandy DE Filter (DEL Series) - Jandy Stealth Series Pumps (Single Speed SHPF) - Taylor K2006 Testing Kit - SPA - Polaris480PRO

TA was 110, typo
    Ill have to go check the CYA Again.. tomorrow. We haven't moved yet and I am at my old house.

Edit... Oh there it is.....
    15,250 Gallon - In-Ground - Pebble - Installed 2007 - Jandy DE Filter (DEL Series) - Jandy Stealth Series Pumps (Single Speed SHPF) - Taylor K2006 Testing Kit - SPA - Polaris480PRO

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, so I am planning to add 24 oz muriatic acid to lover the ph to 7.5 prior to the SLAM. Then use about 6 jugs of bleach (121oz 6%) to bring FC up to 24.

When the directions say "test and adjust" am I trying to maintain the FC at the SLAM levels or my FC target?
    15,250 Gallon - In-Ground - Pebble - Installed 2007 - Jandy DE Filter (DEL Series) - Jandy Stealth Series Pumps (Single Speed SHPF) - Taylor K2006 Testing Kit - SPA - Polaris480PRO

5. Back To Top    #5

Isn't that an in ground pool? Or is it my eyes??
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    Isn't that an in ground pool? Or is it my eyes??
    Yes, between closing the loan, moving, renting out current house, kids, job, etc... my brain is mush... Hahaha.

I corrected the signature.

7. Back To Top    #7

Whew!! Glad it wasn't my eyes getting worse! Don't forget to post pics of the pool as it is now, even if it is a mess.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes please more pics...beautiful pool you have Congrats!!!

If that really is your CYA you're very lucky.

The first house I bought wit ha pool the CYA was 300+
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

BrianaW26, You want to test and the dose back up to shock level based on your CYA from the Chlorine/CYA Chart as often as is feasible for you. The better you are able to maintain that level of FC, the faster your SLAM will go.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

10. Back To Top    #10

Today was moving day. Added 25 oz acid today. Lowered the ph to 7.4. Dumped in 2 gallons bleach today to get things started. I'll start the SLAM tomorrow morning.

image.jpg

11. Back To Top    #11

Does not look too bad. Hope it cleans up quick.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah that does not look too bad at all, you can even see the bottom, good luck and keep us posted, you should be swimming in no time. If you have any questions just ask and someone should get you an answer soon.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

Bought house w/ pool, Un-Maintained for over a month

Ok. Things didn't go as planned. Moving sucks. Started yesterday morning.

Retested CYA at 50. Target shock at 20 FC. It's been at 18-20 ppm for 2 days with a few jugs of bleach. Just brought it back up to 20 tonight and we will see what happens in the morning.

Questions

When I add R003 I never see a change.

Also when I dilute the sample how can I be super precise. A difference of 1 on the scale is multiplied by a factor of 5.

14. Back To Top    #14

I am confused, are you using the FAS-DPD chlorine test that uses powder? There should be no diluting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

try to use 5mL sample for FC test without dilution to keep things simple. It gives 1 ppm resolution.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

If I use the 9 ml sample, add 5 drops r001 and 5 drops r002 the color is off the chart (max 10). How would I dial it in unless I dilute to the 4.5 ml or 1.8 ml sample?

I'm using the Taylor-2005 kit. Taylor Technologies K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

Am I supposed to be using powder?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Brianaw26 View Post
    I'm using the Taylor-2005 kit. Taylor Technologies K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

Am I supposed to be using powder?
    You're going to need to use the Taylor K2006 or TF Test Kits TF100 kits to really know what's going on. These are FAS-DPD kits, and will be able to tell you what you need to know for a SLAM. The DPD-only kits like the 2005 can't read FC levels as high as you're needing for the SLAM.
    15,000 gallon 16x30 IG w/vinyl liner built in 2006, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward 1HP Single Speed pump, Taylor K2006.

18. Back To Top    #18

your sig says K2006 and I have the same kit so you fill test tube to half of 10mL mark with pool water and then follow instructions of the kit: powder to turn it pink and then R0871 drop wise until it becomes colorless. Each drop would be equivalent to 1 ppm give or take.

I'm not familiar with K2005 kit.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Well darn... Haha

20. Back To Top    #20

You just need to add the FAS-DPD test and then you will have the equivalent of the K2006
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast