Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: From Bromine to chlorine like I use in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

From Bromine to chlorine like I use in the pool

I currently have a BullFrog 1 man 4 woman hot tub that uses Bromine and I'm tired of buying two sets of stuff... What would I need to do to sanitize my HT like I do with my pool? Can I use CYA, Clorox, and Muriatic acid in the HT like I do the pool and use Pool Math but with the adjusted gallon amount?

TIA!
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    8632 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: From Bromine to chlorine like I use in the pool

AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Follow the link above .... although you would have to drain and replace the water to get rid of the bromine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Guys!!! Guess I should have looked at the sticky and read it before I added bromine tonight... It was at zero...
    Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    8632 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The sodium bromide in your spa does not go away, if you add chlorine it will just convert the bromide to bromine. The only way to convert it is a complete drain. Alternatively you can keep it as bromine for the time being and use clorox instead of whatever you are currently using following the 2-step system listed here: How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?) Then when you need to do a routine drain you could try chlorine with the option of switching to bromine if you dislike the chlorine. Chlorine to bromine does not require a drain, just add sodium bromide and you have a bromine tub.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I used bromine tabs in my tub for years and the water was never right. Always cloudy and sometimes smelled bad. MPS tub shock was expensive and ineffective. I discovered this site and switched to the dichlor/chlorine method described in the thread above. Works like magic. Don't even think about it. Drain your tub to get rid of the bromine and ditch the tabs. You'll have a pristine odorless hot tub in no time that stays that way at very low cost.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump