Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer air leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer air leak

Noticed the other day my pump would lose prime every 30 seconds or so and then prime back up and run for 30 seconds. Isolated the problem to one of the skimmers by turning off the Jandy valve. Ordered new O-rings for the valve hoping that would fix the problem but no luck. I'm out of ideas on what to do next...
    28,000 gal "L" shaped inground gunite pool with 3 waterfalls at the rear, Pentair Nautilus stainless steel DE filter. TF 100 test kit. We recently bought the house from a flipper and they had no information on the pool. Slowly learning more as I research so I will update then.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Skimmer air leak

If the weir door is stuck it could be sucking the skimmer dry, then filling up, priming then going dry again.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

This sounds a lot like a skimmer basket that is sucking itself dry due to a bad (or missing) weir. Or at least has a vortex allowing air to get to the pipe.

Does the isolated skimmer have an intact, functioning (goes up and down freely) weir? Is the water level 1/2 to 2/3 up the skimmer?

Update - Attech2 beat me, sorry for the double up
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

The weir seems to be intact but I will check it closer when I get to the house. I will also pull the basket to see if that makes a difference as it runs.
    28,000 gal "L" shaped inground gunite pool with 3 waterfalls at the rear, Pentair Nautilus stainless steel DE filter. TF 100 test kit. We recently bought the house from a flipper and they had no information on the pool. Slowly learning more as I research so I will update then.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well guys that was the issue. The weir was stuck about 1/4 open. Water was flowing under the door but it wasn't enough to keep the water level from dropping. I got it swinging again and everything seems good now. I will monitor for a few days just to make sure. Thanks for the help!!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Cool! hope it stays fixed and it is nice to hear back often times the thread just ends and we don't know the result.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!