how to get rid of Backswimmers

Oct 20, 2015
Huntington, NY
Hi all, been enjoying my pool, unfortunately so are a few backswimmers. How do i get rid of them? i water is, what i believe to be perfectly balanced right now. a few weeks ago i started noticing backswimmers in my pool. they are definitely backswimmers, not boatmen. i've read that borates can prevent bugs/backswimmers (which prey on bugs) i had already added borates to my pool but it had been about 1.5 months and we had a lot of rain/evaporation so i had to do a refill. i checked the levels and added enough to bring it back to 50ppm but they are still there. It is my understanding that chlorine and/or shocking does not kill them. i have not used any algecides. i brush my pool once or twice a week and run my polaris cleaner every day for 2-3 hours. the pool is generally pretty much free of leaves at least one point every 24 hours. I use a solar cover, not sure if that is relevant. does anyone have any advice for how to get rid of them? i understand that they feed on bugs that feed on algae, but i should theoretically not have any algae. if i do, then how do i get rid of it considering my water seems to be balanced already?

SWG

PH: 7.5
FC:7
CC:0
TA: 80
CYA: 70
Borates: 50ppm
CH:200

Thanks!

Your pool balance won't deter them.

As far as i know you just have to fish them out / step on them when you see them. (I've had them return when I didn't step on them)

I too have a bubble cover.

I only see them if I take the cover off in the morning....Likely to see 1-3 of them by around 11 am.

They are never around after 12 when the sun is at it's highest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.