Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to get rid of Backswimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

Huntington, NY

how to get rid of Backswimmers

Hi all, been enjoying my pool, unfortunately so are a few backswimmers. How do i get rid of them? i water is, what i believe to be perfectly balanced right now. a few weeks ago i started noticing backswimmers in my pool. they are definitely backswimmers, not boatmen. i've read that borates can prevent bugs/backswimmers (which prey on bugs) i had already added borates to my pool but it had been about 1.5 months and we had a lot of rain/evaporation so i had to do a refill. i checked the levels and added enough to bring it back to 50ppm but they are still there. It is my understanding that chlorine and/or shocking does not kill them. i have not used any algecides. i brush my pool once or twice a week and run my polaris cleaner every day for 2-3 hours. the pool is generally pretty much free of leaves at least one point every 24 hours. I use a solar cover, not sure if that is relevant. does anyone have any advice for how to get rid of them? i understand that they feed on bugs that feed on algae, but i should theoretically not have any algae. if i do, then how do i get rid of it considering my water seems to be balanced already?

PH: 7.5
    TA: 80
    CYA: 70
    Borates: 50ppm

30,000 IG w/ Dark Vinyl Liner | Installed 2011 | Hayward Aqua-Rite SWG | Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter | Hayward Super Pump 2hp | Polaris Booster Pump | Polaris Pressure side Robotic Cleaner | Hayward Titanium 110k BTU Heat exchanger

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pacific NW

Re: how to get rid of Backswimmers

Your pool balance won't deter them.

As far as i know you just have to fish them out / step on them when you see them. (I've had them return when I didn't step on them)

I too have a bubble cover.

I only see them if I take the cover off in the morning....Likely to see 1-3 of them by around 11 am.

They are never around after 12 when the sun is at it's highest.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

Every so often we see 20+ in the pool usually only that way for a day or two then back to 0-3 per day. I am thinking they have somewhat of a group life cycle.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

Houston tx

What do they look like? I've never heard of them.
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop