Pressure gauge

Well slight update, looks like my gauge was ruined this winter. Pressure with pump off is reading over 20 psi and needle is pegged with it running. Although I believe my issue was that I left my MPV in filter rather than "winterize" last fall. I certainly don't remember the leaving the valve in the wrong position, but I guess I should be happy to only need to replace the gauge in lieu of the entire MPV. Oh well, lessons learned!!

Did you get one of the glycerin filled ones? Mine has a rubber plug on it that is used to equalize the pressure. Mine was reading all wonky and I had to cut that tip off so that it could equalize.

Those back mount gauges are very susceptible to freezing. What happens is that water collects in the tube below the inlet port and when you drain the system it doesn't drain out. Then when it freezes, it permanently deforms or ruptures the tube and ruins the gauge. So, it's important to protect the gauge from freezing.

I bought a bottom mount and mounted it on a street elbow and it's been in service for 4 years without removing it in winter. However, if you notice my location, it doesn't exactly get really cold here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.