Pool recently became cloudy and murky??

Stang Guy

Jun 20, 2016
Long Island, NY
This seemed too happen out of no where. It's been clear for months and now all of a sudden it's cloudy and murky. I check the chlorine levels everyday and add as needed. I always keep it at the higher end of the recommended rand. I use bleach. There was a weird film on the bottom around the pool, it was a greenish color (algae?) I've been vacuuming it everyday and I scrubbed the entire thing yesterday. The filter cartridge was green also (I've been cleaning it often now during the SLAM)

The pool is a beltway seasonal pool 12' circle appx 1500 gallons.

Anyhow, so yesterday I started a SLAM. Found my shock level was 20ppm so i've been keeping it at that and checking it every so often. OCLT was about 4ppm from 8:30 last night to 6am today. CC was .5

I checked it this afternoon and the FC was 14ppm and the cc was either 0 or .5, it was too bright to tell.

Rest of the test results are CYA 50, TA 110 and PH 7.5 (Test kit is the TF-100)

Why and how did this happen if my levels were always kept good??

It doesn't take much for algae to get a foothold...with the extreme hot weather FCs are dropping more rapidly and unless you're checking every hour there's a possibility that FC dipped below minimum. Good news is that your SLAM should only take a day or two as it sounds like you caught it quickly.

I think another issue is, the filter that came with the pool isn't too great. You can barely feel it flowing from the outlet. It's only 330 gal/hr.

I test the water everyday and add however much bleach is needed to keep it at the higher end of the range so i'm still unsure how this happened? Only thing I can think of, was we never really scrubbed the pool and I did start to notice a olive greenish film on the bottom edges of the liner.

It's also possible the dynamics of a smaller pool might be influenced a bit more by factors such as heat (water temp) and UV exposure on top of already limited water circulation. But since this is a small seasonal pool, have you considered simply draining, cleaning, and refilling as noted on the Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools page? Just thought it might save you some time & effort. Certainly up to you though.

You can really empty the pool and start all over, or if you will upgrade to a bigger pool in the future, do a slam and practice it really take small addition of bleach like 20 - 25 onces only, I say go for it, good luck and post some pictures

Not seeing any real improvement. Been adding bleach multiple times a day, vacuuming it, running the pump 24/7 and its still murky looking. I don't understand, it was perfect this weekend then all of a sudden monday/tuesday it started looking murky/cloudy out of no where.

Should I buy a better filter pump? If so what should I get thats a direct replacement for the junky one it came with? I do plan on a bigger pool but not this season. I've been using this pool as a practice pool. Should I drain and refill?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.