Trouble keeping Intex Easy Set Ring Inflated

Hi,

We are on our second Intex Easy Set Pool. The first one was a smaller one than we have now. Nothing was wrong with it other than it was just too small for our growing family, it lasted 3 summers. We pack it away for the off season.

We bought this one last year and we did at the end of the summer have a problem with the ring staying inflated. We tried to find where there was a hole but couldn't, but the ring would stay good for about 4 days, then we'd have to refill with air.

This year it's alot worse. We still can't find where it's leaking AND it won't stay inflated for more than one day. Overnight, it deflates and a ton of water comes out. This has happend now twice in a row and we have to add more air and a ton more water. Our water bill will probably be more than a new pool, lol Now.. we have 3 cats who are attracted to this huge water bowl so we laid the ladder on the ground sideways so they can't go up the stairs. We've caught them sitting on the top of the ladder AND walking along the rim of the pool. I'm assuming they have caused this leak.

We aren't stupid people, but we can't seem to find the air leak anywhere, my husband spent at least an hour going over the rim for the leak. So I guess I'm asking how can we easily find this leak and even, how can we keep the cats from being attracted to the pool so we don't have to take it down, the summer just began here. Is there something we could use that wouldn't harm the kitties and would safe for the environment? Something that would repell them that wouldn't repell US? lol I want to at least get the kids through this summer with this pool, seems like such a waste of money if we can't get this fixed.. We can't keep adding water each day.. The water police are probably going to arrest us soon!

Please help?
Thanks, Pamela

Hi there!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's exactly how he tried to find the air leak. He's off tomorrow, so he's going to try it again, he thinks maybe there is a leak at the air valve.. Could that be possible?

:goodjob: :lol: I actually thought about it. They seem to like the water though.. they might like it so much that they swim at night.. maybe that's the problem? :lol:
Pamela

Hi

Another way to find leaks, but only on the inside of the ring: inflate to max pressure, and push ring into the water as far as you can, without (too much) water leaking out.

I have patched more than ten leaks, and yes, mine won't stay inflated for more then three days. Leaks tend to be right on top of the ring. Yes, cats are also a problem here. :(

Cleaning both the leak area and the PVC patch with tetrahydrofurane (PVC solvent) will improve the patching process.

Making your underground as level as possible helps too. Your grass under the pooll will be killed anyway, so you can digg in it without guilt. A horizontal scanning laser (for projecting a line on a wall) helps a lot, but that does mean digging in the dark. Get a self-levelling laser.

I am hoping my husband will dunk the cats and see if that will work. They perch on the side and sit there hanging out. I am half tempted to get rid of them since we really don't have the money for a new pool, nice to know I'm not alone with the cat issue. :-D

Have you tried the product called NO! or something like that. It's made by Hartz. My cat used to climb in my Christmas tree and I started spraying it with that and she doesn't seem to like it very well. It might be worth a try.

If you find the hole and patch it, make sure when you re-inflate you only inflate about 3/4 -- it says in the instructions. Apparently if you inflate too much it can pop itself because it the air expands or something in the sun. Don't know/understand all the details, but I was told that before I bought mine and then in reading my instructions I noted it said something along the same lines. Just trying to save the cat by throwing out a different explanation for the returning air leaks.

i too had problem with ring staying inflated. could never find the leak. But what i discoverd is that the hot texas sun just ate the vinyl ring and there were millions of microscopic holes thru out ring where sun had pierced it. the should not even sell these pools here. This year bought the intex pool with the metal poles. Am hoping that this one has a longer life.

Re-opening an old thread here. Same problem; no leaks to be found. Tried the soap method and the dunking method. Nuthin'.

Thinking of filling the ring with pool noodles or slow set expandable foam. Does anyone know what the diameter of the ring actually is? I'd rather not lose all my water just to measure it. Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put 4" noodles into my 12' intex inflatable. The result was less than stellar. Having gone through several of those, my best advice is to just expect to add air every other day and live with it until you can replace it with a non-inflatable. Regarding the cats: there are repel sprays that work, but would have to be reapplied very often outdoors near a pool. You can make a different area of the yard more attractive (perch, catnip...) and make the pool area more unattractive, perhaps with a water sprinkler on a timer or that you can turn on when you see them lounging.

I only had an Intex for two years between IG pools, but I did the same thing I do with all inflatables. First, blow it up as hard as you dare. Then bend over (unless you are pretty short) and go slowly around the outside with your ear a few inches from the middle of the ring. Then get in the pool and do the same on the inside.

Key is high air pressure in the ring. Just having it inflated normally won't always do it. This doesn't work so well if you live next to a freeway.

Hi Pammie63 I am new to the sight. My first pool was that kind of pool and I had the same problem with the ring losing air. What I discovered was without the cover on the birds would land on the ring and their claws would poke very fine pin holes in their. When I patched the holes everything was fine as long as when you get out of the pool you put the cover on right away. Hope you found your holes.. Gio

Ok, Im new here to and to the air ring type pool. After "fixing" the cat's curious claw punctures (that was easy really) we still had leak much slower but leak.
So! Being a good Ole Respiratory Therapist I pulled out my most trusted "tool" my stethwcope ! Starting at the repaired puncture sights I listened around for the air leak. YES ! a good "scope" will let you hear those leaks. Working my way to the valve BINGO !! a extreme, small 'squeel could be heard at the spot, double checking with the soapy solution I was seeing the bubbles! The Plug fits "ok" but seemed to be "positional" to leaking. Over pumped the collar some to recheck and thats where the "problem" seems.

Ill admit this isnt a perfect seal system and so far the idea of pumping bavk up every other day is accetable ?

Im going to work more on the valve, lubing with vasiline.

Ill admit I found the "SUN holes" idea interesting but that might be after 2 plus years,

Im here in the Piney Woods of East Texas

Please do not use Vaseline, it will eat away at the vinyl. You are better off getting some silicone based lube from the pool store or online. Or actually for that small amount you can just get some "plumbers grease" from any hardware store. It is used to lube faucet seals and such. It comes in a small gray or tan container that kind of looks like a carmex or blistex container.

I had an inflatable ring pool in Houston a few years ago. In the Texas heat, there was no way to keep the rings really really tightly filled, because the air (and consequently the ring) would expand in the sun and contract at night. After a few cycles, it would just get kind of slack, and would need to be puffed back up. So, while I didn't have any leaks, I did have to keep an eye on it.

I tried the spraying soap and listening but none of that worked very well.
I took a piece of Saran Wrap about a foot to a foot and a half long. Put it in the pool to wet it then slide it up on the air ring. Continue to do this all the way around the ring. When it is over a leak, a growing air bubble appear instantly.

Had same problem with "cat", she had only jumped once on ring but that was enuff ! over all I had found 4 punctures, had found 3 and thought I had it all "fixed, but kept losing air (much slower but losing) We had got in pool and Wife found the last hole more to inside, have now had all holes fixed and its held fine. Also had thought air leak was around valve. Took a small section of Saran wrap and even lubbed the plug with Plumbers grease the covered plug with SW. With all these small fixes the ring held all summer. Over all I think it was the "Dang Cat" :rant: punctures. But she earns her keep I must say, NO Moles or Gophers! :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.