Trouble keeping Intex Easy Set Ring Inflated

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I did this today with my 10' intex pool. I don't have the patience or time to search for a leak. This idea seemed like a good one to me. Spent $7 on pvc, $7 on pool noodles.....seems to work like a charm. Unless something weird happens overnight, which I'm hoping not, this will hold for the summer. Easy fix!!

I also had this same problem on my 15' Intex, but I went the cheap and simple way to fix it. Basically, I've abandoned the air ring as the means for keep the walls of the pool afloat. Instead I bought four 1/2" PVC (10 foot each), four 1/2" PVC couplings, and about 9 pool noodles. I joined all the pipes together with the couplings, put noodles over the length of it, and connected it into a circle (while in the pool) that fit tightly under the deflated air ring. Since the air ring is sort of a lip that hangs over the water, this noodle ring constantly floats and pushes it up. The diameter of the noodle ring also pushes out a little so it fits very snugly and securely. I spent a total of about $20. And since I didn't have to use any PVC glue, I can take this apart pretty easily if and when the time comes to store the pool.

I've attached a couple of pics - one shows the noodle ring in the pool (this is the only part w/ exposed PVC, because this is where I "closed" the circle. In the other pic you can see the noodle ring bulging against the outside a little (it's kind of low because I needed to add a few inches of water). Anyway, this has been working for several weeks now, and it even made it through a rowdy Father's day party! I hope this helps anyone looking for a cheap and easy way to keep swimmin' this summer! :)

View attachment 30851
View attachment 30852

Great ideas like this is why I love TFP so much! :cool:

I'm on my fifth year with the same Intex Pool. Here is what I've learned.
1) The pump that was sent with mine was inadequate and lasted only two years. I replaced with a sand filter one -- no problems and better suction for vacuuming.
2) I've had two holes in the ring that were hard to find. Fill the ring to full, and then patiently (helps if you have other people to help) go around and check every section of it. Put your fingers low into the crease to find low holes. Try the stethoscope method of listening; try the soapy water -- but just go around very patiently -- touching, feeling for leaks. I found one low on the outside near the crease with my fingers just feeling along. I found a second one the next year by pressing down on the top of the ring and curling as much of the ring under the water of the pool as possible. Patiently I went around and finally found it -- small bubbles (because it was a small leak) coming up. Just be patient, listen, submerge as much of it as possible, and you should find it.
3) When packing it away for the winter, be very careful with the ring -- deflate it, wrap it into the heavier vinyl to protect it. The ring is a weakness so you have to treat it well.
Even with these issues, it has worked great for us!

Reactions: Quartermaster
I had a puppy poking millions of holes in our intex pool with the inflatable ring. I just cut a slit on the bottom (outside edge) of the inflatable ring and shoved black pipe (with little holes) for tiling your yard/field which is sold at lowes. we had 4-5 pieces that were going to the trash anyway. I also thought that if anyone uses those 2 liter pop bottles (we don't) then you could shove those in too. I covered the hole with some duct tape and it works great.

I think grey PVC has the same specific gravity as white PVC (~1.3, only slightly heavier than water's 1.0), but I think the grey pipe is usually thicker, which means a heavier weight working against the buoyancy of the noodles. May not make a huge difference but who knows. I'd originally calculated the outer circumference at 47 feet based on the listed diameter (15' x Pi = 47.1'), but I'd forgotten the ring itself is set in a couple of feet. So mine only ended up needing exactly 40 feet of PVC. I covered the entire length in noodles, minus a maybe 8" gap where I made the last connection to the coupling. It's been around 2 months and thankfully it's still working. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you get the noodles at the dollar store? or Walmart? What a great idea, I hope this works for us!! This is the 2nd year for our pool (We had another before also) and it has just started with a slow week. :( Halfway through summer, can't see buying a new one til next year. Thinking the hard outside ones might be better.
I also had this same problem on my 15' Intex, but I went the cheap and simple way to fix it. Basically, I've abandoned the air ring as the means for keep the walls of the pool afloat. Instead I bought four 1/2" PVC (10 foot each), four 1/2" PVC couplings, and about 9 pool noodles. I joined all the pipes together with the couplings, put noodles over the length of it, and connected it into a circle (while in the pool) that fit tightly under the deflated air ring. Since the air ring is sort of a lip that hangs over the water, this noodle ring constantly floats and pushes it up. The diameter of the noodle ring also pushes out a little so it fits very snugly and securely. I spent a total of about $20. And since I didn't have to use any PVC glue, I can take this apart pretty easily if and when the time comes to store the pool.

I've attached a couple of pics - one shows the noodle ring in the pool (this is the only part w/ exposed PVC, because this is where I "closed" the circle. In the other pic you can see the noodle ring bulging against the outside a little (it's kind of low because I needed to add a few inches of water). Anyway, this has been working for several weeks now, and it even made it through a rowdy Father's day party! I hope this helps anyone looking for a cheap and easy way to keep swimmin' this summer! :)

View attachment 30851
View attachment 30852

Ok so we have tried this - so far it's staying up. :) Thanks so much for the idea. Just little things we did different - we had to use 3/4 in couplings (1/2 in were same size and wouldn't fit), and we only had to use 8 noodles. Our pool is 15' x 42in. 2 noodles per PVC pipe. Noodles at Menards right now are on sale for 1.19!! Yeah!!

View attachment 30851
View attachment 30852

I had the same issue with our 4+ year-old Intex EasySet pool this year, i.e, the inflation port flange for the top ring had partially disintegrated. After trying multiple different "glues" to fix it over multiple days (including stuff from a couple of "Vinyl Pool Repair Kits"), I found a product at Ace Hardware which finally did the trick called 'Perfomix Vyna Bond (VLB)' - but I'm sure there are other products out there which perform as well.

The key is patience, e.g., apply a coat and wait more than the recommended "30 minutes". Then apply another coat a couple of hours later. And another after that - two days total for me. Also apply a coat where the clear vinyl port flange meets the ring (i.e., the blue part of the ring) just in case.

As it is right now, the ring inflation port flange is an "outtie" (think belly-button) instead of an "innie". If it makes it through the next couple of days, I'll try to make it an "innie".

Good luck!

I went to Lowe's and found what you mentioned using but fiberglass and I are NOT friends so I was hoping for another solution. I found some 6" general flexible duct with no insulation! While 8" would have been perfect, the 6" is going to work just fine. I already have it in the ring and am adding water to the pool. I can't thank you enough for your suggestion. It was MUCH cheaper than buying another pool.

I tried the spraying soap and listening but none of that worked very well.
I took a piece of Saran Wrap about a foot to a foot and a half long. Put it in the pool to wet it then slide it up on the air ring. Continue to do this all the way around the ring. When it is over a leak, a growing air bubble appear instantly.

THIS!

Just wanted to mention that I came here out of pure frustration as I could not find the leak to save my life. We had actually purchase a brand new pool to replace this one of ours, if I wasn't able to find it.

I was getting really frustrated at having to pump up the air ring several times a day and last night "I" was the one in the dog house when the pool collapsed due to a deflated air ring.

I had tried EVERYTHING and I've owned several of these pools over the past decade and never had a problem finding the leaks, but this time - mission impossible. I even had the wife and kids out there trying to help and listening for the leaks, feeling for the leaks, using soapy water, etc.

WCHANDER hit the nail on the head with the Saran Wrap - took me less than 30 minutes to do the whole pool and I found THREE pinhole leaks and have them patching now.

THIS!

Just wanted to mention that I came here out of pure frustration as I could not find the leak to save my life. We had actually purchase a brand new pool to replace this one of ours, if I wasn't able to find it.

I was getting really frustrated at having to pump up the air ring several times a day and last night "I" was the one in the dog house when the pool collapsed due to a deflated air ring.

I had tried EVERYTHING and I've owned several of these pools over the past decade and never had a problem finding the leaks, but this time - mission impossible. I even had the wife and kids out there trying to help and listening for the leaks, feeling for the leaks, using soapy water, etc.

WCHANDER hit the nail on the head with the Saran Wrap - took me less than 30 minutes to do the whole pool and I found THREE pinhole leaks and have them patching now.

OMG... that worked for me! I found it- after two days of looking! And I know the culprits... darned birds! Gotta be vigilant about using the cover now. Wonder if I could put something floating in the pool to scare them off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.