Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muratic Acid from paint dept

1. Back To Top    #1

Muratic Acid from paint dept

Need to lower pH a bit and found Muratic Acid at WMart by Kleen Strip Green. Couldn't find percentage on label for Poolmath so called mfg. Told me 20-1/2% with Baume' of 13. Numbers not offered in Poolmath drop down to figure quantity to add. Anyone help?

Thanks.
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muratic Acid from paint dept

Some of those brands have varied percentages. If you buy that brand, you might have to use the low end on the calculator and just keep re-dosing/testing. If you find yourself near a Home Depot or Lowes you could look for one of these:
    Muriatic Acid (Home Depot):

Muriatic Acid (Lowes):
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

For 20.5% MA, use 15.7% in pool math and multiply what it tells you by 0.766.

15.7 / 20.5 = 0.766
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the help.
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I have noticed at my local HD the stuff in the paint dept cost about 50% more per gallon than the stuff for pools in the garden dept. Same strength just different manufacture.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by atttech-2 View Post
    I have noticed at my local HD the stuff in the paint dept cost about 50% more per gallon than the stuff for pools in the garden dept. Same strength just different manufacture.
    That's kind of backwards. Usually anything with "pool" on it or located in the pool section costs 50% more!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    That's kind of backwards. Usually anything with "pool" on it or located in the pool section costs 50% more!

Isn't that the truth !!
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

At Lowes, the Kem-Tek 2 1-gallon pack is $13.48. It is the 20 Baume 31.45% and is in the Garden Center with all the other pool chems.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

The stuff from WM paint is a gallon (supposed to have 90% less voc than regular MA) for $6.88. It was handy.

10. Back To Top    #10

Home Depot has the same brand and the same 2-1 gallon pack for $10.98.

21,000 gal AG w/vinyl liner
    30 foot round
    1.5 HP duel speed pump
    Cartridge Filter
    Jandy Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kschmidt1 View Post
    The stuff from WM paint is a gallon (supposed to have 90% less voc than regular MA) for $6.88. It was handy.
    I think the "90% less VOC" claim just comes from it being lower strength (20% vs 31.45%), thus you will need more for a given pH change. For paint stripping that's probably a good tradeoff; for the pool it may or may not be depending on how you manage it.

My local Home Depots usually have 2 varieties of 2x1gal Kemtek or HDX (more recently) in the garden center, often in the same stack so you have to check the label -- 31.45% for $11.98 or 14.5% for $10.98. Obviously the higher strength is a far better value and is what I buy, but some may choose the lower because it does fume less (see the Decanting Acid thread and others for discussion on methods).
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

12. Back To Top    #12

I'll let you know. smackdab gave a calculation to figure using different strength in Poolmath. We'll see how that worked out. Nothing to lose. Still too high, add more. Too low, add borax. I did purchase 1/2 gal at local ACE while back of full strength for $3.99. Again, easy access.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    It's reverse Pool Store psychology, clearly the stuff in the paint isle has the super secret special ingredients to clean concrete that mere pool acid can't.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

14. Back To Top    #14

smackdab your calculation was correct. Thanks.