Complaint on TFPC Method

Oh, the pain!

I would imagine that back in the olden times pucks could be mostly ok in the northeast. Not too hot, reasonable rainfall and partial drains each winter to close the pool. Probably same for Florida with plenty of rainfall. But, as pool installations expanded across the country conditions just got worse and worse for using pucks. The entire southwest from Texas to CA where pools are open year round, temps 100+ all summer and rainfall happens every 2nd or 3rd year is a recipe for disaster.

Good point on questionable sanitation levels using pucks as well. As the pucks add CYA to the pool you need to increase the FC level to compensate.

Excellent post! I guess my worry is seeing all the threads here with people still having issues while using the TFP methods. I don't kit my kit till next week so I've been doing pucks and acid in the meantime (pool is only 2 and half weeks old though). So far so good but I'm hoping I don't screw anything up when I switch over.:drown:

Not doubting you, but most of the threads I see are of people having problems because they are just switching to TFP and have relied on pool stores in the past. If you would be so kind as to link a couple of those where current users of the TFP methods are having problems I'd like to read them and possibly help them out :)

Excellent post! I guess my worry is seeing all the threads here with people still having issues while using the TFP methods. I don't kit my kit till next week so I've been doing pucks and acid in the meantime (pool is only 2 and half weeks old though). So far so good but I'm hoping I don't screw anything up when I switch over.:drown:

You only see the posts of people having issues. People do post how much they love their pools also but not at the same rate. On any given day there are 2000-4000 people on TFP and a handful of new posts with algae problems, etc and most are newbies just getting started. The vast majority of people who have been here a while and learned the process have no issues year after year. When I joined I had quite a few years of green Intex pools. We filled our new in ground pool in 2012. Had a little algae at first but I found and joined TFP and took care if it. Since my pool was filled in 2012 it has never been green, never been drained and we have never missed a day of swimming that we wanted to swim. I did get a little lazy with testing last summer and got a little algae but we swam every day while SLAMing and it cleared up quickly.

If you tested daily and treated as necessary and your equipment is working properly you likely never post unless it's to help out someone else.

IMHO, the problems while using the TFP method are from those of us who are trying but don't always do the daily testing and adjusting that is necessary and or have an equipment issue that's causing their problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you've got a pattern, you may just need to go add some bleach every day and test every few days.

Going out to see the pool is fun. Pouring a little bleach into it lets you say you're "working." :)

Typically the people on here that are still having problems are not following the procedure. Either they won't commit or don't give it the attention it needs when you are doing a slam. They just want it clean now... that's why the pool stores do so well. those people just need to see how easy it is once they crossed the threshold into TFP pool nirvana.

"Excellent post! I guess my worry is seeing all the threads here with people still having issues while using the TFP methods. I don't kit my kit till next week so I've been doing pucks and acid in the meantime (pool is only 2 and half weeks old though). So far so good but I'm hoping I don't screw anything up when I switch over."

Not doubting you, but most of the threads I see are of people having problems because they are just switching to TFP and have relied on pool stores in the past. If you would be so kind as to link a couple of those where current users of the TFP methods are having problems I'd like to read them and possibly help them out :)

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/123481-First-time-pool-owner-sanity-checking-my-numbers

Pool recently became cloudy and murky??

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/124988-Chlorine-consumption-is-through-the-roof

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/125090-SLAM-that-never-ends…

and so on....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My husband's complaint is that everyone wants to swim in our beautiful water, even of they have their own pool!

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't look at all of them yet, but the very first one immediately says they've not had the pool a. Week. So it's not a long time user having problems.....

First thread: Titled First time pool owner, sanity checking my numbers

Second thread: Join Date: Jun 2016

Third thread: What you're describing is often a pool that didn't quite get SLAMed enough, or maybe has some hidden algae somewhere still alive and contributing.

Fourth thread: Join Date: May 2016 and the same problem as #3.

There's a lot to absorb here. Even just following the motions without understanding them is easy to get wrong, and people do. My wife does a beautiful job with our pool, but it took her a long time before she felt comfortable leaving the pool store, and she did a lot of water testing before that. So we got lucky, with her very experienced with the testing (and doing a lot of reading here) before we committed to it. But as a result, when we started using the TFP method, we were actually using it. We cut ourselves off from the store and had already gone through the learning period, so it was easy.

And now the water's great and the chemicals are cheap.

Not everyone who joined in the 2016 season did so because of green pool problems! This is my second season with our AGP and I was following the BBB method of TFP even before finding TFP. I found TFP only doing research to show my wife that using bleach for chlorine is fine.

I have not once had any sign of green in my pool yet. Once my pool got cloudy but I swear someone was peeing in the pool( my kids had a lot of friends over the day it went cloudy). A quick 2 day SLAM and it was back to TFP crystal clear!

i check at least my FC and Ph everyday, and make adjustments as needed. Only takes a few minutes if I want it too. I will never do anything else to my pool but keep it the TFP way!

And so on.....lol

#1 is a first time pool owner that inherited a murky pool NOT using TFPC methods

#2 is a small seasonal pool, but I will grant you that one is a mystery....1 out of 1000's

#3 their CYA was too low and the sun was burning off FC faster than they could add it

#4 really stretching to call this a problem. Noone has said that with minimal effort your pool will remain perfect. Their's was a little hazy and having experienced the crystal clearness of a TFP pool immediately started a quick SLAM. That thread is an example of what to do, so I don't understand how that's a pool that has failed TFP.

And so on.....lol

#1 is a first time pool owner that inherited a murky pool NOT using TFPC methods

#2 is a small seasonal pool, but I will grant you that one is a mystery....1 out of 1000's

#3 their CYA was too low and the sun was burning off FC faster than they could add it

#4 really stretching to call this a problem. Noone has said that with minimal effort your pool will remain perfect. Their's was a little hazy and having experienced the crystal clearness of a TFP pool immediately started a quick SLAM. That thread is an example of what to do, so I don't understand how that's a pool that has failed TFP.

#1 one has gotten their levels in check though using TFP but still has murkey water. What gives?

#3 keeps burning off cya, why (since they are following TFP methods)?
#4 can't get their levels perfect but I guess that's not a big deal (as long as its close), right?

Once again, I'm going to be using the TFP rule book for my pool very soon but just trying to cover all basis.

#1 one has gotten their levels in check though using TFP but still has murkey water. What gives?

#3 keeps burning off cya, why (since they are following TFP methods)?
#4 can't get their levels perfect but I guess that's not a big deal (as long as its close), right?

Once again, I'm going to be using the TFP rule book for my pool very soon but just trying to cover all basis.

I'm beginning to think you're just trolling at this point

#1 - He hasn't passed the OCLT yet....So he's still killing algae. Not hard to understand

#3 - "Keeps burning off CYA"....look, if you're going to argue a point, stop using superlatives that don't apply...He went from 40 to 20....ONE TIME. Not "keeps burning CYA". Could be measurement error the first time. Could be the granular CYA he added hasn't fully dissolved yet. Could be his reagents have gone bad. Could be a dozen things, but the fact is CYA doesn't disappear without water exchange. Simple Chemistry. So nothing burned his CYA off. It was either never there, or it's there and he's not measuring it.

#4 - What? They're levels aren't perfect, because same as #1 they have not completed an OCLT. They are still slamming. I would suggest you go back to the pool school links and read about SLAM and the three criteria for completing one. Threads #1 and #4 haven't completed theirs, so I again fail to see why you think these are examples of a failed application of TFPC.

I'm beginning to think you're just trolling at this point

#1 - He hasn't passed the OCLT yet....So he's still killing algae. Not hard to understand

#3 - "Keeps burning off CYA"....look, if you're going to argue a point, stop using superlatives that don't apply...He went from 40 to 20....ONE TIME. Not "keeps burning CYA". Could be measurement error the first time. Could be the granular CYA he added hasn't fully dissolved yet. Could be his reagents have gone bad. Could be a dozen things, but the fact is CYA doesn't disappear without water exchange. Simple Chemistry. So nothing burned his CYA off. It was either never there, or it's there and he's not measuring it.

#4 - What? They're levels aren't perfect, because same as #1 they have not completed an OCLT. They are still slamming. I would suggest you go back to the pool school links and read about SLAM and the three criteria for completing one. Threads #1 and #4 haven't completed theirs, so I again fail to see why you think these are examples of a failed application of TFPC.

More like circular reasoning but I'll agree my questions do seem a bit obtuse. Either way, there are thousand of users here who seem to follow the TFP way and are happy so that's why I'm here to follow in their footsteps. I will most likely bring more silly questions to the forum but hopefully I can make up for it with usable content/learned knowledge and of course lulz.

I joined in 2016 due to extremely high CYA numbers from my pool store test and I wanted to see what I could do to avoid a drain. Understanding TFP's methods kept my pool clear of algae until I reached a point where I could drain. After draining and filling, I have a pool that is so clear I can't believe it - I've never had a pool so clean and clear in my life.

Most new posters have problems. It's what brings them to the forums in the first place.

LOL I just did a little "test" on my pool. We went away for the weekend so I bought tablets to put in the floater. I "filled" it up with 4, 3" tablets and left the pump running. When we came back I left the tabs in the floater. I did not test the water as it was late.

On Monday I did test the water..........not so good. I only had a FC of 2! I checked the floater and all 4 tablets were still in and about the same size as when we left :shock:.............Well I wanted to see if I could make them dissolve faster so I cut the openings in the floater to make them bigger. I left the pump on to keep the water moving. The next morning my FC was still 2 AND I had a slight yellow/green film on the bottom of the pool.

I left the tablets in and vacuumed the pool and started a SLAM. Within in 12 hours things were already looking better.

I LOVE the TFP way! Using it my pool is purrfect! It was only when I was "testing" to see if tablets would work for me that things started going off.

Next I am looking at a SWG. THAT should help with longer travel times when I am able to retire in 4 yrs.

:kim: :lovetfp: :testkit:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.