Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Complaint on TFPC Method

1. Back To Top    #1

Complaint on TFPC Method

Hi everyone.

I wanted to post and state that all is going very well after switching to the TFPC method full time this year. Once you get going it really is as easy as adding some chlorine every night which takes all of 35 seconds. I test my chlorine about once a week and could probably stop all together as I now know exactly what I need on a daily basis. I've spent a whopping $35 on chemicals this year compared to close to $200 at this time last year.

My kids have consistently come home from other pools and tell me that our water is so much more clear than where they were.....that is validation enough.

I do however have a complaint. When going underwater with goggles on, you now see absolutely every speck of dirt that is floating around in there!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of the help.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Complaint on TFPC Method

18x52 Ultra Frame with 1600 gph sand filter and intex skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

Great to hear ... although I would highly recommend you do not test less, and really should be testing more often. That is how you catch small problems before they become bigger problems.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

You can add a little bit of pool grade DE to your sand filter to clear up the specs.

I test at LEAST twice weekly, but will often need 3 to 4 tests per week if I have a lot of swimmers.

Some days I use the taylor chlorine test that only goes to 5ppm (4 ppm is the lowest I can be without a potential problem) so
    if it reads 5 on one of those tests I know I'm good.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

When I turn on the light at night, I can see EVERY divot and feet marks when the installer got in and out when doing the liner.

I also see all the wrinkles from trying to break chlorine lock by dumping in bags of shock and MPS. POOL STORED.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, my wife was quick to point-out all of the flaws and dirt in/around our pool once it was TFP clear. What's a guy to do?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like a good problem to have!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to the world of Pool Snobbery.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep, my daughter told me my pool was so sparkling it hurt her eyes and put on her sunglasses
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Turning the light on at night is the worst every divot in the liner and occasional leaf stands out like they were painted in neon. The spot where my ladder used to be is the worst. Oh the problems TFP has caused me.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

11. Back To Top    #11

+1 to the DE in the sand filter, I've been running that way for a few weeks now. I can pass the after dark pool light test no problem. Bring on the snobs! Also maybe you need to run your filter a bit longer.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes I am now a poolsnob all the way!!

The dirt I was referencing is actually what gets caught on the 2 tiny wrinkles that I was unable to get out of the bottom completely, as my wife is quick to point out. Never really paid much attention to them last year but boy can you see them now.

On a non windy day my pool looks empty. Love it.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP ruins vacations.

On our trip earlier this month we couldn't make ourselves go anywhere near the hotel pool after we got a look at it. And it was really hot out!
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

Boy, you guys hit the nail on the head with TFP problems. When the light is on at night, every dent, divot and texture is visible. The whole bottom of my pool looks like a textured series of small sand dunes. I tell people I requested that for aesthetic reasons... And don't get me started on every little spider and cricket that I can see on the bottom of the deep end. Those suckers must sink like an anchor because they never hit the skimmers!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm not trying to degrade the methods used here because obviously it works for a lot of people but what about the people who are having problems? Also, having to add bleach everyday seems like a bit of a chore, no? Most non TFP methods require just throwing pucks in the dispenser and letting it do its magic (or in your case, damage.....) but I've know a lot of people who go this route and don't have any problems. I guess my question is the TFP method primarily used to saved money?

With that said, I'm full on board trying this method as everyone seems pretty knowledgeable on this site. Hopefully I have success stories and not "HELP, why is my pool green/cloudy,etc." threads coming up soon.
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by PoolingAround View Post
    I'm not trying to degrade the methods used here because obviously it works for a lot of people but what about the people who are having problems? Also, having to add bleach everyday seems like a bit of a chore, no? Most non TFP methods require just throwing pucks in the dispenser and letting it do its magic (or in your case, damage.....) but I've know a lot of people who go this route and don't have any problems. I guess my question is the TFP method primarily used to saved money?

With that said, I'm full on board trying this method as everyone seems pretty knowledgeable on this site. Hopefully I have success stories and not "HELP, why is my pool green/cloudy,etc." threads coming up soon.
    It usually saves money and also avoids problems like climbing CYA. In areas where there is no shut down for winter and there is not a lot of rain, exclusive use of tablets will not work long term due to climbing CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

The other day I went out to look at my pool and I could see both leaves on the bottom! Sigh!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

There's obviously an abundance of anecdotal evidence that pucks may work for their given situation. But the science is fool proof, and without water exchange, pucks will eventually raise the CYA level to an unmanageable level that the pool will need draining. That science is a given. So, I would say that if you investigate most of the anecdotal evidence, those pools that are successful using pucks fall in the categories of:

A) Haven't had the pool long enough to where CYA has become too high
    B) Has regular water exchange due to high rainfall
    C) Is in a northern climate where their winterizing routine is lowering the water level and refilling the following spring

So, in some cases, given the right parameters, pucks may be utilized short or long term successfully. However, when throwing a bunch of pucks into a dispenser, you are relying on complete guess work as to the decay rate and release rate of chlorine from the puck. Nothing is testing your water and insuring that you are keeping FCs at a safe level for swimming or biological sanitation. Do you want to swim in a pool like that, or one that is monitored daily and adjusted based on real science, not guesswork? There are so many variables that can affect chlorine depreciation (sun, heat, rain, organics being blown into the pool, bather load, etc.), I'd rather not chance a puck dissolving at some unknown rate to be the determination of my pool sanitation.

Lastly, I would love a survey of these anecdotal cases, where pucks are the only thing they are buying from the pool store. I would bet money, that most puck users are buying algaecides, ph UP, ph Down, bioclears, sparkle wonders, and whatever else the pool store concocts to keep that pool semi-clear. So, you ask if cost is the primary factor. No, it's a welcomed secondary result that all we incur is the cost of ordinary bleach, baking soda and muratic acid, and only the latter two occasionally. The primary benefit is we know EXACTLY what and how much is in our pool to keep it optimally safe and sparkling clear.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    The other day I went out to look at my pool and I could see both leaves on the bottom! Sigh!
    I know....I have to go down a flight of stairs to make sure the water is still there....I hate what TFPC makes me do

18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    There's obviously an abundance of anecdotal evidence that pucks may work for their given situation. But the science is fool proof, and without water exchange, pucks will eventually raise the CYA level to an unmanageable level that the pool will need draining. That science is a given. So, I would say that if you investigate most of the anecdotal evidence, those pools that are successful using pucks fall in the categories of:

A) Haven't had the pool long enough to where CYA has become too high
    B) Has regular water exchange due to high rainfall
    C) Is in a northern climate where their winterizing routine is lowering the water level and refilling the following spring

So, in some cases, given the right parameters, pucks may be utilized short or long term successfully. However, when throwing a bunch of pucks into a dispenser, you are relying on complete guess work as to the decay rate and release rate of chlorine from the puck. Nothing is testing your water and insuring that you are keeping FCs at a safe level for swimming or biological sanitation. Do you want to swim in a pool like that, or one that is monitored daily and adjusted based on real science, not guesswork? There are so many variables that can affect chlorine depreciation (sun, heat, rain, organics being blown into the pool, bather load, etc.), I'd rather not chance a puck dissolving at some unknown rate to be the determination of my pool sanitation.

Lastly, I would love a survey of these anecdotal cases, where pucks are the only thing they are buying from the pool store. I would bet money, that most puck users are buying algaecides, ph UP, ph Down, bioclears, sparkle wonders, and whatever else the pool store concocts to keep that pool semi-clear. So, you ask if cost is the primary factor. No, it's a welcomed secondary result that all we incur is the cost of ordinary bleach, baking soda and muratic acid, and only the latter two occasionally. The primary benefit is we know EXACTLY what and how much is in our pool to keep it optimally safe and sparkling clear.
    Excellent post! I guess my worry is seeing all the threads here with people still having issues while using the TFP methods. I don't kit my kit till next week so I've been doing pucks and acid in the meantime (pool is only 2 and half weeks old though). So far so good but I'm hoping I don't screw anything up when I switch over.
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast