I am trying desperately to get this whole pool ownership thing under my belt and get it to where I fully understand what's going on and what I need to do to get things set up properly. A little history - I bought this house just outside of Orlando, FL a little over a month ago. When I got into it and started checking out the pool there was 0 chlorine in it so I bought a large container of tabs after talking with a friend that works for a pool company. I put a tab in my chlorinator and discovered a couple of days later that there was one in my basket. After a few days the pool turned green and I started researching like crazy. That's when I found this site and discovered that continuing to add pool shock was not the best way to keep it going so I tested the water and discovered that I could shock the pool properly by getting my CYA down and then adding 3 gallons of liquid chlorine. After doing that the pool cleared right up and I have since had my water tested this past Sunday at a local pool store and purchased a Taylor test kit k-2006. The pool store said that everything looked good but that I needed to add about 7oz of Acid to lower the PH which was tested at 8.0.
I added the Acid and have tested it the last couple of days myself and here is my current results:
Calcium Hardness - 400
Total Chlorine - 0.4
Free Chlorine - 4.6
PH - 7.4
Alkalinity - 80
Cyanuric Acid - 150
Pool temp is hovering around 84-86
I don't know what the Dissolved Solids are as that isn't included in the test kit. (I believe the guy at the pool store tested that at around 1500ppm)
The problem is that I still have what appears to be a green algae that I can simply brush off the edges and the floor which I have been doing daily and I have been spraying off the pump filter every couple days to clean it. I want desperately to have a beautiful clear pool for my girls and my guests when they come. Any suggestions aside from a water change would be greatly appreciated. I intend to completely empty the pool this winter to resurface it and start over at that point. I will also do away with the chlorine tabs at that point and go to liquid chlorine only. I just don't want to waste the $80 I spent on the tabs by not using them and would like to continue using them until I completely start over.
According to the Watergram calculator included in my test kit the Saturation index is at a -0.23.
Do I just need to keep brushing away at the pool until it clears up or is there something that I am missing?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.PoolShallowEnd.jpgPoolDeepEnd.jpg