Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Get rid of the Tricolor Tabs? Move to Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Get rid of the Tricolor Tabs? Move to Bleach?

New pool owner here... so please bear with me as I have searched the forum the past few days on this.

When my pool start up was completed, I started the TPC method of maintaining the pool. Sparkling water, test results spot on and all was great. These were cooler months as well. A little less than a month ago we had to have the installer come back out to do some stone work on the water fall from the spa area. They wet sanded (grinding) the rock to improve the flow and even it out, but left us with a mess in our pool to which they came back to clean up. Unfortunately unknown to me, they also mucked up my chlorine levels and CYA (chlorine loss) by adding pucks and chemicals to the pool like they were restarting (less acid). My chlorine loss is very evident, especially now with heat nearing 100' here in Texas. I have since added conditioner as well as bleach (6%) to reasonable levels and it is getting better each day, though I think we still need to keep pushing a bit as some algae has appeared in our wading areas and sun facing pool sides (limited), so brushing is a daily requirement as well. Current levels measured today - FC = 3.5, PH = 7.5, CYA = below 20 (added liquid conditioner today - 2 gallons) but I expect a drop in Chlorine due to CYA level being low and temps this week.

My question is that we have pucks in the inline feeder. Should I remove them and should I close the flow through the inline chlorinator as I move back to only bleach for the pool?

Thanks!
    What I got - 14,000 gallon, above ground, plaster, Jandy 60sqft DE filter, Jandy variable speed e-Pump, Built 4/2016, Spa, Polaris 280 pool cleaner w/ dedicated pump, Jandy 400k BTU heater, wireless, sheer descents (5) & waterfall from spa to pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Get rid of the Tricolor Tabs? Move to Bleach?

No love around here for pucks except for occasional use such as during a vacation.

Get your CYA up to 30 and then SLAM since you have algae.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi and welcome! What kind of test kit are you using? You'll need a good one, preferably the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net with the Speedstir option but the Taylor K2006C is good too and can be had quickly from Amazon if need be. If you already have one, post a full set of numbers for us.

We need to see:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Liquid chlorine is the way to go for sure. But if you have some pucks and you need a boost in CYA, especially down there in Texas, go ahead and use them until your CYA is at the level you need. But you need to SLAM the pool to get rid of that algae that's starting to grow. In order to SLAM, you'll want to use bleach only until you have made it through. Before starting, get your CYA up to 30ppm using stabilizer/conditioner and your pH to 7.2, then add chlorine to shock level of 12ppm and keep it there until you meet all 3 of the criteria on the SLAM page. Read up on the SLAM process and ask any quesions you might have.

You can use PoolMath, link at the top of the page, to figure out dosing. And continue your daily brushing through the SLAM.

You'll want to read through as much as you can in Pool School, link at the top of the page. Get familiar with PoolMath to help with dosages. And don't be afraid to ask for help!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

What kind of test kit do you have? Since you have a CYA number, you should also be able to do the Combined Chlorine test. pH is OK. Please retest and give us the numbers as
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

If you have signs of algea, you are going to need to keep FC up with bleach. When you can post complete numbers, we can advise further.
    Last edited by kschmidt1; 07-27-2016 at 11:47 AM. Reason: duplicate
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all, been following the TFP method as mentioned. I use the TF-100 test kit, check FC and pH daily with a weekly full test and Pool Math. Latest results are as follows:
    FC = 3.5
    CC = 2
    pH = 7.5
    TA = 75
    CH = 275
    CYA = below 20 (expect to go up with add of liquid conditioner this morning)

Thunderstorms in area so no pool work this evening...
    What I got - 14,000 gallon, above ground, plaster, Jandy 60sqft DE filter, Jandy variable speed e-Pump, Built 4/2016, Spa, Polaris 280 pool cleaner w/ dedicated pump, Jandy 400k BTU heater, wireless, sheer descents (5) & waterfall from spa to pool

6. Back To Top    #6

If your CC really is 2ppm, please read up on this:
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

7. Back To Top    #7

It is not, my bad... readings today after chem adds yesterday evening (bleach, and conditioner)
    FC = 5.5
    CC = 0
    pH = 7.5
    TA = 80
    CYA = 60

Pool is looking good, daily scrubbing and monitoring.

8. Back To Top    #8

FC target with CYA of 60 is 7. Absolute minimum 5. You will probably want to raise FC a bit. Rest of numbers look good. No more conditioner - since you raised CYA just yesterday, it may go higher in the next few days. Sometimes final readings take a few days! If it does rise, don't forget to check CYA/Chlorine chart for correct FC goals.
    Happy swimming!
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks... morning test was spot on this morning.
    FC = 5.0 (loss of .5 Overnight)
    CC = 0 (no change)
    pH = 7.6 (up .1)
    TA = 100 (went up 20)
    CYA = 50 (went down 10 - subjective may be my poor eyes yesterday afternoon)

Pool is crystal clear (pic in a bit) no signs of any algae or "dirt" when brushing.

10. Back To Top    #10

Final post on this thread for me... has been absolute perfect the past week. Basic testing daily for Chlorine and pH, every other day TF-100 kit full test just to remind me I'm not crazy. Temps have been near or just over 100'.

FC = 6.0 (loss remains at just under 1 overnight)
    CC = 0 (no change)
    PH = 7.5 (down .1)
    TA = 120 (up 20 - perhaps due to use of fountain and sheer descents?)
    CYA = 50 (no change)

Pool is crystal clear, even post kids swimming daily.

PS - Tried to rotate pool pic, but not able to...

IMG_0981.jpgIMG_0999.JPG
    Last edited by maddscot; 08-07-2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Tried to rotate pool pic

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Nice looking layout
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!