Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it okay to backwash while SLAMing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it okay to backwash while SLAMing?

Title says it all. I know it will bring my CYA down, but my CYA is high to start with. If I just keep track of my CYA and pH and maintain appropriate shock level FC, is it okay to backwash, rinse, and add well water while I'm doing a SLAM? I'm brushing and just want the "stuff" out of my sand filter.

Southeast US, In ground, vinyl, 18'x36', 22,000 gal, sand filter, Hayward Cl feeder (presently empty)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Fairfield Twp, OH

Re: Is it okay to backwash while SLAMing?

Yes. If there is a lot of debris in the pool from SLAMming, you have to backwash. Once your pressure goes 20-25% above clean pressure on your filter, you need to backwash.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Grandy, NC

Re: Is it okay to backwash while SLAMing?

And your CYA level drop will be barelyoticeable with backwash and refill. Especially since you round up with CYA results. So continue to use FC level you have been using until SLAM is done.
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 3 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 10(?) yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006