Help with tf100 test results after draining pool

FirstVallartaPool

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2016
Puerto Vallarta mexico
After draining half the pool due to high cya here are the new results. Any input most welcomed. Water is pretty good but not crystal. I still have yet to deep clean the sand filter. By my calculations I ca turn pool water over in an hour and I am running sand filter for 3 hours and some days 7 but still not crystal clear but again not bad. Thanks all.
Edit. I just pretested FC this am and at 7 now from yesterday [9.5]

TA 110
Ph 7.2
Ch 175
Fc 7
CC .5
Tc 10
Cya 38-40 yay [was 80]

Looks pretty good. You want that CH a little higher than that. Yes, a deep clean will help a lot if you haven't done that before. After the deep clean, don't backwash until you get to 25% over post backwash PSI.

FWIW, my pool is crystal clear and I run the pump 4 hours a day. With a "good but not crystal" pool you might consider running it a bit longer until it clears up.

Results look great (I assume a good test kit), though I don't see a TA reading. Good choice to drain and refill to make it more manageable. Since your pool is still a little cloudy, I would suggest raising your FC to ~16 ppm throughout the day today and then conducting an OCLT tonight if possible. That will give you indication if algae or just junk in the water. Depending on the OCLT results, you can continue the Slam or not (provided understanding that clear water is a condition to meet successful slam).

At a minimum, you should run your pump more or 24/7 to help clear the water.

Yes, would raise it today then do the OCLT tonight. Basically the test will prove if you have any algae growing in your pool causing the cloudiness. It is done at night so UV light from the sun doesn't affect your FC levels, so any loss in FC can only be caused by organics in the water. If you rule out algae then you can focus on clearing the dust or whatever from the water. If you find that you have algae no amount of filtration will clear it. It can only be cleared up after killing all the algae via a Slam.

Good luck, read up and feel free to post any questions!

BTW, TA looks good.

Try to make sure that the Cal-Hypo is all dissolved today. Anything left to dissolve after your FC test tonight will skew your OCLT results. I think you will be fine since I think that is fast dissolving, but I am not positive as I have never used it. My assumption was you would be using bleach but since you need CH anyway that is a good choice! Best of luck to you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok just tested water pre sun. Last night FC 17. CC. 5
This morning. FC 23 CC. 5
I added the chlorine at about 1pm yesterday and tested at 8pm. Took morning reading at 830am. I am assuming chlorine powder didn't fully dissolve even by 8pm?
So can I assume though algae isn't eating the chlorine at least or do I need to Re oclt? Also I ran filter for approximately 8 hours and water still not super clear.

Something's not right. If I put 4800 gallons in PoolMath, it tells me that 250oz of 65% Cal-Hypo will raise FC 251.

Maybe I need another caffeine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.