12 volt solenoid valve

timjet

Sep 4, 2015
Leesburg, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I'm trying to build a muriatic acid feeder using the suction side of my pool pump. I've tried the emiters but could not get the flow slow enough. So using a timer with a solenoid shutoff valve will work provided I can get a valve that is resistant to muriatic acid. Anyone know of one, it does need to be 12 volt DC.
Thanks.
Tim

The problem isn't just that you need a valve that will operate on 12 volt DC and is compatible with HCL, but you also need one that will operate at near zero psig.

Also you need the elastomer to be either EPDM, Neoprene or FKM (Viton). Buna-N (NBR) won't work.

Unfortunately there is no cheap solution when it comes to HCL.

Thanks crusemm, the cheap one might work, for $14 it's worth a try. It did say it can only handle a 7' head pressure. I have no idea what suction my pump has, but I can reduce the pressure/suction by using a hose clamp and squeezing the supply tube.

Anyway here's my setup. Using one of crusemm valves and a wall wart 12 volt adapter like this: Amazon.com: Angelelec DIY Open Sources Power Supply, Wall Adapter Power Supply 12Vdc 1A (American Standard), High Quality Switching Accessories

And a timer that will count in seconds like this one: Digital Programmable Timer Socket Plug Wall Home Plug-in switch Energy-Saving Outlet - - Amazon.com

I'll start out with a 1:3 diluted solution of muriatic acid and see what happens.

Comments?

I have some gently used Burkert Solenoid valves which I believe have FKM seals (i can double check later) that I'd sell for a very reasonable price (considering they would be going to an interesting project). The valves however are 24V. Let me know if you are interested.

timjet, I don't think that suction pressure is the issue, just head. Based on the description, it sounds like the weight of the water helps keep the valve shut, probably due to the surface area on the back of the valve disk. As the height of the water increases, the pressure holding the valve shut goes up (psi holdiong the valve shut being a combination of height of the water and surface area of the disk), until it would get so high that the coil can't lift it anymore. I think pump suction would not be felt the same way as static head above the disk. a 7 foot high column of water would exert 36 psi pressure. A perfect vacuum on the other side exerts 33 inHg or 16 psi. So even with a perfect vacuum, it wouldn't be enough to hold it closed, even if it worked the same way. At least that's what my nuculer math tells me.

Thanks for the explanation crusemm. I'm going to give it a try with the cheap valve you suggested. For resistance to muriatic acid I think nylon fittings and [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Polypropylen[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]e[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] tubing should work, is this correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.