Cartridge Filters

bcwils

Jun 18, 2013
Hi, I have Pentair variable speed pump, cartridge filter and salt system. Over the past month I keep having to increase the RPM of the pump to get the red light for the flow on the salt system to go to green and for it to work properly. I have gone from 1500 RPM to 2100 RPM.

I have cleaned the cartridge filters and it seems to work for about two weeks and then the same problem. I also cleaned the salt cell but it did not make a difference. The whole system is only in its 4th season and I am in Toronto so I only have it on for 5 months of the year.

Both the salt cell and the cartridge filters look ok. My pool guy says I need to replace the filters which really surprises me. Anyone have any other thoughts?

I do have an idea. I bet your CYA is getting high. Let me guess your pool guy is using tablets to maintain your chlorine in the pool.

When the CYA gets up past 90 and above it takes more and more chlorine to keep the pool balanced. When the water is not balanced it will start "growing" stuff aka algae. You might not see it yet but your pressure is showing you something is about to happen. It is like a early warning system.

How do you test your water? THAT is going to be the telling answer for me

I look forward to hearing back from you so we can save you quite a bit of money!

:kim:

I just had my pool store test the water and other than the chlorine being a little low they said everything else was ok. When I get home later I will look at the CYA level, I don't remember off hand. We have had a lot of warm sunny weather here and yes the pool is not holding the chlorine well right now.

The store has not recommended tablets. I have the salt system but they did tell me to super chlorinate/shock yesterday. And yes we did have a little algae yesterday as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had my pool store test the water and other than the chlorine being a little low they said everything else was ok. When I get home later I will look at the CYA level, I don't remember off hand. We have had a lot of warm sunny weather here and yes the pool is not holding the chlorine well right now.

The store has not recommended tablets. I have the salt system but they did tell me to super chlorinate/shock yesterday. And yes we did have a little algae yesterday as well.

Sorry just realized CYA is stabilizer. I did suspect this to be an issue. It was 30 I believe which is on the low side but they said to leave it for now.

We've gotten a little side tracked on chemistry, when it sounds like your problem is flow. However, your flow issue could be caused by a chemistry issue, but we'll get back to that.

Which SWCG do you have?
What is the filter pressure running on the speed you have to run to get the flow light out?
What is the filter pressure on high speed?
Do you know what your clean filter pressure is and at what speed it was recorded?

We've gotten a little side tracked on chemistry, when it sounds like your problem is flow. However, your flow issue could be caused by a chemistry issue, but we'll get back to that.

Which SWCG do you have?
What is the filter pressure running on the speed you have to run to get the flow light out?
What is the filter pressure on high speed?
Do you know what your clean filter pressure is and at what speed it was recorded?

I have all Pentair equipment.

Intellichlor ic40
Pressure right now is about 13 psi running at 2100 rpm which is the min to get the flow light on.
Under previous conditions it was about 7 psi at 1500 rpm.
Under high pressure ie when the pump is being primed at startup it maxes out the psi about 30 psi. I cannot remember what it would show previously when I didn't have the issue.

Thanks ks for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.