Travertine Pavers as Pool Coping

Fins

Jul 14, 2016
Boca Grande, FL
My pool builder used travertine pavers as pool coping. No problem, I like the look. All of the pavers are set on a sand base and the coping is adhered to the top beam of the pool with thin set. Looks good.

Problem I'm having is keeping sand out of the pool. Whenever it rains, the sand washes out of the joints between the coping pavers and right into the pool.

There is no grout in the paver joints or anything to keep the sand from washing into the pool.

Does anybody else have travertine coping and are your coping joints grouted to keep sand from washing into the pool?

Thanks in advance.

My travertine coping is cemented in place with mortar in the joints between each stone. The rest of my decking is travertine set in sand. If your coping (not decking) has the joints filled with sand, then you might want them to redo that with mortar. If the sand is coming from your decking but still ending up in the pool, then you might have a drainage issue.

We had our decking re-done after the pool was filled, and ended up with lots of sand in the pool, mostly from loose sand sticking to feet and ending up in the pool. After cleaning sand off the top, I haven't noticed more sand in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.