Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Travertine Pavers as Pool Coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Boca Grande, FL

Travertine Pavers as Pool Coping

My pool builder used travertine pavers as pool coping. No problem, I like the look. All of the pavers are set on a sand base and the coping is adhered to the top beam of the pool with thin set. Looks good.

Problem I'm having is keeping sand out of the pool. Whenever it rains, the sand washes out of the joints between the coping pavers and right into the pool.

There is no grout in the paver joints or anything to keep the sand from washing into the pool.

Does anybody else have travertine coping and are your coping joints grouted to keep sand from washing into the pool?

Thanks in advance.
    12k gal Concrete pool & spa, Blue Lagoon PebbleTec, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3 HP pump, Ultra Temp Heat Pump, IC20 SWG, Easy Touch System w/ IS4, Cartridge Filter, Intellibrite Pool and Spa Lights. Built July 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Sugar Land , TX

Re: Travertine Pavers as Pool Coping

I have exactly what you have but do not have a problem with sand. My PB did put a sealer down on paver so maybe that locked in my sand. PB also put a bead of calk between coping and deck pavers so maybe that is helping also.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

3. Back To Top    #3

Tucson, Arizona

My travertine coping is cemented in place with mortar in the joints between each stone. The rest of my decking is travertine set in sand. If your coping (not decking) has the joints filled with sand, then you might want them to redo that with mortar. If the sand is coming from your decking but still ending up in the pool, then you might have a drainage issue.

We had our decking re-done after the pool was filled, and ended up with lots of sand in the pool, mostly from loose sand sticking to feet and ending up in the pool. After cleaning sand off the top, I haven't noticed more sand in the pool.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

4. Back To Top    #4

Frisco, TX

In my pool build you can see how the travertine pavers are mortared in here and the rest of the deck was put on a crushed granite and sand mix. They spread polymeric sand over the deck at the end, brushed it away (so the joints were filled), then sprayed/watered down for it to harden/set in. I haven't had any issue with sand in the pool.
    33'x21' IG Gunite, 8'x6' Spa, Pentair Pumps/Filter/Heater, Ultrapure Ozone Generator, Travertine Deck and Coping
    My Pool Build:

5. Back To Top    #5
    Madisonville, LA

Have the exact same problem. Watched them put the polymeric sand in, water it and that was that. Problem is, it is coming out of the joints and not staying put. Eventually ends up in the pool. My coping tiles are grouted though.
    Installed 7/10/2016 : 18.3K gal. : IG Plaster : 3.5' - 6.5' : Integrated Spa
    Pentair WhisperFlo Pump, 1.5 HP : Century Centurion Booster Pump, 3/4 HP
    Pentair 420 sqft. Cartridge Filter : Pentair Inline Rainbow TriChlorinator
    Pentair Kreepy Krawly Legend Pressure Side Cleaner
    Taylor K-2006C Test Kit