Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with switching to chorine from perma salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with switching to chorine from perma salt

Hi, I need help with my pool. I was sold a perma salt system last year and I hate it. We put in a 27 foot above ground pool. We are on well water. When I had a small pool from Walmart, I used chlorine and now I want to go with a chlorine pool again. How do I make the change? I noticed that you suggest a good test kit. I will order a good one asap - any recommendations? I don't believe I have a lot of copper in my water, but it is a cloudy mess. I put liquid chlorine in the pool and it reacts with the metal - makes the water reddish. I cleaned it out, but now it is cloudy. I have had everything from black, red color water, slimy feeling at bottom of pool to a horrible fishy smell. So if I go with chlorine, do I turn off the copper system? How much chlorine do I need to start? How do I stablilize the chlorine?

Thanks for helping me!! Thank you for welcoming me!

cppanka
    I have a 27 foot x 54 in above ground swimming pool that holds 17,000 gallons of water. We use a perma-salt system to clean the water right now. We have a cartridge filter. My numbers for PH are 7.2, Alkalinity was at 140 (We have never been able to get it much lower than that). We do not have a lot of copper in the pool right now. We are on well water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with switching to chorine from perma salt

For now, clean out and disconnect the perma-salt system and check this out: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

You could also add about a half gallon of regular 8.25% bleach everyday.

More answers to follow once you get your kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,
    I got my test kit awhile ago. It has taken us a long time to get most of the copper out of the pool. We have had a clear pool for about a month. No one has been in the pool because it was a mess and now it is cold. I have been using the bleach to chlorinate the water lIke you told me and have been testing the water.

We are getting ready to close the pool, and are hoping for a better summer next year without permasalt. What I don't understand is the CYA. I tested the water, but it showed we have no CYA in the pool. We have never added it. I read up on the TFP forum about slamming the pool, but don't I have to add some CYA to the pool first.

Thanks for your help
    I have a 27 foot x 54 in above ground swimming pool that holds 17,000 gallons of water. We use a perma-salt system to clean the water right now. We have a cartridge filter. My numbers for PH are 7.2, Alkalinity was at 140 (We have never been able to get it much lower than that). We do not have a lot of copper in the pool right now. We are on well water.

4. Back To Top    #4
    TFP Guide

How did you keep any chlorine in the pool with no CYA? How much chlorine did you add every day? What FC level did you target? This is kind of amazing.

They sell CYA at Wal Mart, etc.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Can you add a state, territory or country to New Prague, knowing your local climate and conditions helps us give better advice
    Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~