Aqua Rite SWG Not "Holding" Calibration

gman007

Bronze Supporter
Jun 28, 2016
Fairfield, CA
Hi All... First post, so be gentle! lol. Anyway, I have done a lot of looking and I can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I have an Aqua-Rite SWG (manufactured in 2008). I bought the house with pool 6 months ago. I recently switched to saltwater (added 15 40 lb bags) to use the SWG that came with the house. After adding salt turning on the SWG, I got the dreaded "check cell" steady light and "check salt" light. I assumed the cell went bad, since I just bought the house and had no way of knowing how old the cell was or when was the last time anyone ran the SWG. So, I shelled out $500 for a new T-15 cell. I installed the new cell, and I am still having the same problem. So I you tubed "how to calibrate t-15 cell" managed to re-calibrate the cell. Off, auto, wait for click, press button 5 times, wait for countdown, switch to superclorinate when correct salt level is reached, then to auto. The problem is when I wake up in the morning and check the SWG, the lights (inspect cell (steady) and check salt) are on. I called Aqua Rite, who first told me the "board wasn't picking up the t-15 cell". I explained to him that according to the Aqua Rite website, only boards with a firmware version of 1.5 or higher have the option to select which type of cell is in use. My firmware is ver 1.40. He still insisted that I need a new board. My numbers are:

100p
al-0
R1.40

If I need a new board, then fine... But the Aqua Rite guy didn't seem to want to be very helpful. Any help/guidance is appreciated!

Have you read this: https://images.inyopools.com/cloud/documents/aquarite-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

Check Salt & Inspect Cell LED’s will flash together when salt level is between 2500-2600ppm. Chlorine is still being produced.
Check Salt & Inspect Cell LED’s will be ON when salt level is 2300ppm or less. Chlorine production is halted. Inspect Cell LED will
flash by itself when 500 operational hour countdown timer has expired. Requires manual reset. To manually reset the Inspect Cell
LED, press and hold the Diagnostics button until LED goes out (approximately 3 to 5 seconds).

Thanks for the reply... I have seen that document. I am confident my pool is at 3000ppm. Using the fantastic calculator on this site, I added the correct amount of salt. I did only check it with salt test strips, maybe I'll see if Leslie's has a more accurate test. The weird thing is if I recalibrate the cell using the method I found on YouTube and leave it running, it works fine. However, the pump comes on at 3:00AM, and when I wake up and check on it, the inspect cell (steady) and check salt lights are on. This is a brand new T-15 cell, so it makes me think something isn't working right between the SWG and the pump when it automatically kicks on.

I am confident my pool is at 3000ppm.
That is somewhat irrelevant. It doesn't really matter what the actual salt level is, only what the SWG thinks it is. As ping suggests, follow the SWG lead and add salt.

Re: Aqua Rite SWG Not "Holding" Calibration

I am beyond frustrated with this thing... I took a water sample to Leslies. The salt content was low (2500ppm). They recommended I add 3 bags of salt, so I added it. I still have to re-calibrate it everyday... When I come home from work or wake in the morning, the check salt and inspect cell LEDs are on (steady) and the salt level reads between 700 - 800. I have to turn the pump on, wait about 5 mins, then recalibrate cell. When recalibrating, the salt level reads 3400. It drops to 3300, then immediately to 800. If I catch it at 3300 and recalibrate it, and leave it running, it works fine.Until the pump shuts off. Then the process starts all over. I used the flowchart on page 17 of the above attachment. The amps look good (I can't remember the reading). If I need a new board, I will get one, but after throwing $500 at this thing for a new cell I just want to be sure a new board will fix it once and for all...

First, are you absolutely sure you got a T-15 cell. Sorry to ask but there have been other posts where they actually received a different version which requires different settings.

So if that isn't the issue, then I would guess the current limiter or the rectifiers. Can you check both the amps and voltage when you first reset it and then right before it shuts off and report back?

Hi mas985! Thanks for the reply. I did receive a T-15 Cell, at least that's what the sticker says on the unit.

I will do this ASAP and report back, but I need clarification. What do you mean by "right before it shuts off"?

Right before the Inspect and Check lights come on. Does the SWG continue to run after those lights are on or does the unit cut power to the SWG?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have no way of knowing when the Inspect and Check lights come on. I guess I could calibrate it, let it run for an hour, shut the pump off, sit in a chair, monitor the lights and wait for something to happen... But even then I wouldn't have a way to check the amps and voltage right before the lights come on, because I have no way of knowing when the lights will come on. As for the SWG continuing to run after those lights are on... The pump is off so I would HOPE the SWG is also shutting off. The Power light on the panel is constantly ON, even if I move the switch to the Off position.

I'm not sure I understand. So are lights coming on when the pump is off?

If the pump continues to run, do the lights then stay off and the SWG continues to run?

Yes, the lights are on when the pump is off. I have the pump set to run automatically starting at 9:00PM - 2:00AM. When I get home from work at 6:00PM the pump is off, and the check salt and inspect cell LEDs are on (steady). Same thing in the morning when I wake up. However, if I turn the pump on and re-calibrate the cell, and leave the pump on, it works fine.

I think I understand. But those lights could have come on while the pump was running but you were just not there to see it.

So to detect any drift in the volts/amps try this. Calibrate, take a voltage amp reading. Wait 60 minutes, take another reading as see if it changes by a lot. Just may sure your SWG % is set to 100% so it runs for the full 60 minutes.

If volts/amps don't change much and the lights are still on, manually shut off the pump and see if the lights change at that point.

That might narrow down the possible causes.

I just remembered that over the weekend I turned the pump on in the morning on Saturday, recalibrated the SWG, and let it run for 24 hours. It ran fine and generated a lot of chlorine. Then I shut it off Sunday afternoon, and Sunday night the lights were on... However, I will try to do what you suggest above and report back.

Do you have a flow switch installed for the SWG unit? Does the no flow light come on when the pump is shut off or do you have the AquaRite shut off with the pump? Exactly how is it wired with the pump?

Looking at page 8 of the manual you sent above, I have a flow switch. I have never seen the "No Flow" light turned on, with the pump running or turned off. I have also never seen the Power light turn off, pump running or not. When I get home tonight I will recalibrate the SWG and check to see which lights are on with the pump off. I will also check to see if I can figure out how it's wired to the pump.

That could be your problem. Perhaps the previous owner jumped the flow switch because it was broken so every time you turn off the pump, the SWG continues to run and after some time, the reaction will run out of chloride ions to covert to chlorine. But the cell should fill with hydrogen gas too which is not a good thing.

Well, as expected I got home and the check salt and inspect cell light were on. The salt reading was at 800. I recalibrated the SWG (3000ppm), set dial to 100, turned on pump and checked amps and volts. Amps were at 5.79, volts were 24.7. I let it run for an hour, rechecked amps and volts. Amps were at 5.94, volts were at 25.4. I shut off pump. The no flow light came on. Waited an hour, only power and low flow lights are on. So I was mistaken, the low flow light does come on... Any other thoughts?

And did you try turning on the pump again to see if the SWG started up since the check lights were not on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.