Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switch to SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Switch to SWG

Contemplating a switch to Salt Water generator for our 15k AGP. Any thoughts or concerns?

15K AG, Hayward 1.5HP Power-Flo LX Pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switch to SWG

Switched this year.Love it.No more having to add bleach every night.lol.Now if I had to pay full price for the system I would think twice.I got my Auqa Trol HP for under $300.Wish I had bought two now.lol

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I absolutely love mine.

We've got really hard water (and haven't had much rain in the last 5 years) so our calcium levels are gross. But even that has proven more or less manageable.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. Any recommendations? Can it be done with existing pump/filter setup?

15K AG, Hayward 1.5HP Power-Flo LX Pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I have aqua trol on my pool best investment made to date. Yes can be fitted into existing equiment all you need is the salt cell to be placed vertical on the pools return. Aqua trol does not use an external flow switch.

Intex 12 by 24, Intex 2600 sand filter (soon to upgrade), deck under construction

6. Back To Top    #6

Size wise, get one that does 1.3 or more lbs per day. Here's a comparison site with all the main brands: Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

7. Back To Top    #7

I Love mine. The salinity of the water is not harsh and actually makes it soft. Once you determine the correct run time for your SWG, it is almost maintenance free. I haven't had to manual add bleach since my first fill this year. Pool is sparking and clean! I just check my FC level about twice a week and adjust run time accordingly.
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

8. Back To Top    #8

Salt will improve water feel to skin and eyes, not make it worse. People are salty and salty in the water makes it better. For reference, saltwater pools are around 3500 ppm salt, human tears are 9000 ppm and the ocean is 35,000.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Our first AG salt pool lasted almost 7 years before it completely rusted to its death. We are on our 2nd, year 3. Be very careful about watching for rust spots, protect the pool wall behind the skimmer where water drips out with overflow, splashing etc.

I absolutely love the low maintenance, feel on the skin, etc. and would do it again and again, but rust is a real concern that you should be aware of.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by florentino View Post
    I have aqua trol on my pool best investment made to date. Yes can be fitted into existing equiment all you need is the salt cell to be placed vertical on the pools return. Aqua trol does not use an external flow switch.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
    HP does have flow switch

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit