Need help with SLAM

Hello, I have been lurking and reading as much as I can on this site over the past week. Long story short, my mother in law's pool was an awful swamp. Before coming here, I didnt know better and we used an algaecide.. Didnt work, and now I know why! I do not have a test kit above the strips, so I have been taking water every day to leslies to get tested.

Sunday morning, the test showed FC up to 16, CYA 20. Everything else good according to the pool chem page.
Monday afternoon- FC 6, CYA 30
Tuesday Morning- FC 5 CYA 45.

I just cant seem to keep the chlorine up! The pool is 23000 gals and I have been using the pool calculator. I was shocked that it was so low on monday. Per the calculator, we added 242 oz of bleach monday afternoon and another 121 monday. The FC should have been no less than 12. Tuesday morning added another 121 oz of bleach, waited 30 minutes then collected water to test and the FC was only 6!

It is getting more blue, but I cant keep the chlorine up at all. Keep adding more bleach? Should I go add like 242 oz each hour? We are using home depo germicidal bleach, and Ive read here that others have used it successfully.

Thank you!

Yes I realize I need a test kit. Unfortunately they take a few days to get here and I don't want to lose progress I have made in the waiting process. Should I have ordered one sooner, yes obviously.

It's 23,000 gallons. Between tests I added a total of 4 121 Oz bottles and was still @ 5. What's the most amount that can be added at once?

If we round-up your last CYA test to 50, then your SLAM FC level should be "20". So depending upon what you show as your current level, you could estimate as best as you can while waiting. You can add bleach periodically per gallon knowing each gallon will increase FC by a little over 3.5 FC in your 23K pool. Maybe that will help while you wait for the kit. :)

Remember though, you won't win any battles until you can test accurately. So don't get too frustrated until your have the test kit with the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) to accurately test FC. That's the key. Then you'll be able to test and dose immediately to maintain the FC of 20. Until then, just hang in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.