Howdy Folks!

Jul 19, 2016
Katy, TX
Hi.. My name is Evette and my husband and I recently purchased a new house that has a spool in the backyard, but we don't know the first thing about maintenance. While we love the idea of a private pool/spa.. I don't know a lot on the maintenance or how to exactly run it correctly. the pool is under 1 year old, and when I called the installer, they wanted to charge me $150 to come and "teach me", but I thought that was too high and he didn't seem very nice at all.

I hoping to find all the help we need on this site.

Hi Evette,
Welcome to TFP! We certainly can help you out.

First of all, you need to keep your water parameters in good shape. If you don't all sorts of ugly things can happen, from growing algae and turning ugly slimy green, to having plaster problems that will shorten the lifespan of your new pool.

To be sure to keep the water in good shape, we recommend all pool owners get a good reliable test kit so they can test the water themselves. Pool store workers often to not know anything about swimming pools, nor do they own them. They are just workers who repeat language taught to them by chemical salesmen. Get your own test kit. It's the best investment you could possibly make for your swimming pool. Most of us here at TFP use the TF100 test kit. Its be best on the market and for a homeowner, has larger quantities of the testing chemicals that we use the most. Deifinitely it's the best bang for the buck. TFTestkits.net

Next, read this Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry It will teach you whats in the water (besides funseeking people) and how the different water parameters interact with each other. Its very basic and no real chemistry is included. So dont get anxious about it.

Next, book mark the recommended levels, the Chlorine/CYA chlorine charts and the Pool Match calculator. These three things along with your test kit will be your best friends.
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

There is a lot of other info included in Pool School, ranging from recognizing some of the pool equipment, and other odds and ends and recommendations for how long to run the pumps etc... lots of good stuff there, so have a go at it.

And last but not least, dont be afraid to start a thread and ask questions. We are all here and willing to help with whatever you might need some help with.

enjoy the new pool!