Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Controller plumbing question

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Controller plumbing question

A lot of solar controller plumbing diagrams I have seen only use 1 automated 3 way valve that opens when the solar controller senses heat up in the panels and then shuts it off when the panels either cool down or optimal temp is reached for the pool...The problem I see is this....

When the controller shuts off the valve, the water drains down on the return side through the check valve, but how does the water drain from the supply side with the 3 way valve completely closing off that line??

I thought about using a second automated 3 way valve like in the picture below to allow the water to connect from the supply side to the return side through a bypass line so that the water can drain on the supply side as well... Am I missing something as to why this is not done normally on a solar panel installation?

Attached Images Attached Images
    20k Gunite 16' x 32' , Hayward c7030 700 sq ft cartridge filter. Pentair Superflo 1hp 2sp pump, Intellichlor IC40 w/ Power Center SWG, Hayward GL-235 Solar Controller, (2) Digital GE Timers.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Riverside, CA

Re: Solar Controller plumbing question

Use a solar three way valve (has a very small check valve built into the diverter) or a "leaking" three way that has a small hole drilled in the diverter that allows the water to drain back through the supply side. Some solar collectors don't even require draining but you'll need to check with the MFG.

Your idea above would work but be unnecessarily complicated and difficult to automate.

HERE is a solar valve but its just as easy to drill an existing one yourself.
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD