Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is This Borax Or Baking Soda

1. Back To Top    #1

Hillsborough, NC

Is This Borax Or Baking Soda

Almost 2 years ago I closed the pool at our old house for the winter. I took a box of white powder and dumped it into an old coffee can for storage. I very cleverly did not label the can. Then we sold the house the following February. Fast forward to this summer when I finally get the pool up at the new house, I've got a coffee can of something. I think it's borax, it doesn't appear fine enough to be baking soda. Is there a way to test for sure?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Tempe, AZ

Re: Is This Borax Or Baking Soda

I suppose you could try to test dissolving it in water and see how it affects TA & pH compared to what you'd expect for each.

Use a fixed measure of both water and the substance and you should be able to predict after results.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

3. Back To Top    #3

north Berwick,ME

a coffee can of something ????? throw it away. if it's been sitting in a can for two years it's no good anyways. why chance it . could be something toxic. both products are very inexpensive.
    21 ft above ground pool. 2 speed pump. 10,000 gals . cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Please throw it out.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School