Drying time for PVC glue?

The directions will not say this but, given normal temperature, the pvc will set in position in about 30 seconds and I have applied pressure (swimming pool pressure.....not 200psi) to the joint within five minutes and never had a failure.

Yep, it sets up quickly as Dave said. Be sure you check the fit before priming and applying the cement as you won't have much time to work with it once you paint the cement on and make the connection.

Ke said:
The directions on the container say the drying time is up to 48 hours! I guess I'll wait about 30 minutes. The pressure from the pump is only about 12 psi.

What brand are you using?

The Oatey purple primer and Oatey PVC cement allow things to set up very quickly.

The glue is Sluyter PVC S40(medium body), the primer is Oatley, I got both from the plumbing store when I bought my PVC fitting elbow. Anyway it is all done now and I will turn the pump on in about an hour or so. The instruction says depending on the temperature and other factors it may take up to 48 hours before the piping can be pressurized. I guess the 48 hours is just to be on the safe side and with high water pressure.

Ke - you must be using a slow set glue (and that's fine!) I use blue wet or dry glue that sets in 10 minutes to be able to hold 60 psi (far more than any pool runs). the full cure is good for 125 psi after 12 hours.

The 30 seconds Dave was talking about is how long I hold the pipes together to prevent "backing out" and then I wait 10 minutes before turning the system on - I know it's overkill, but it beats the heck out of having to replace a new fitting :)

According to Sluyter's website, the glue is described as a fast set glue, anyway I waited about 3 hours before turning the pump on and no leak so far (it's been about 6 hours now). Thanks everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.