Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Home with severly neglected pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question New Home with severly neglected pool

Hello all!

First off I am very pool ignorant and am looking for a little advice/recommendation.
    My wife and I are most likely putting in an offer to buy a house in our small hometown and it has an in ground pool. Kinda...
    The pool has a more or less permanent deck built over it, completely covering it. I know the owner of the house and they said when they bought the house back in 2002 the deck was there and they never touched it. There is a small little door to look in and all I see is white walls/steps and a good deal of black muck on the walls but it was pretty clear water. The pump and filter look like an old pressure cooker (Shiny steal top/cap with a gauge in the center) but I cant get any more detail such as make/model.

My main question is, is it worth it to fix it back up or tear it out? I would love to have a pool of my own but don't want it if it will cost more to repair then rip out.
    Also, can pools just develop cracks overtime? It looks like it holds water, but not sure if it was a little low due to neglect or leaks.

I'm sorry I'm being very vague right now but that is all the info I have. Im trying to get a hold of a family friend that builds above ground pool but he hasn't called back.

I'm going to look at the house again today, and most likely put in the offer. Can you tell me anything to look for to help decide one way or the other?

Thanks in advance.IMG_0360.jpgIMG_0358.jpg
    Last edited by ITR6; 07-26-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added pictures

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Home with severly neglected pool

Really hard to give advice that's meaningful on such vagueness. I'd be doing you a disservice by guessing.

We'd need to know if it is a concrete, plaster, vinyl or fiberglass pool. If it has white sides, probably plaster, but again, we shouldn't guess. Yes, plaster and concrete pools can develop cracks, especially if the water level is allowed to get low and the hydro-static pressure of the water table pushes it up. Also just due to age, as most pools need resurfaced every 10 to 15 years, and the pool has been neglected at least that long.

I would not base your offer on a working or even salvageable pool, and actually might use it to your advantage that it's going to cost xyz to fill it in. No way to know the cost of repair without knowing the size, what it's made of and its current problems. If you can get some pictures that will help. BUT, on the bright side, members have saved some pretty bad looking pools neglected for years, so it is very possible.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

You might be surprised at the cost of removing an in-ground pool. Unless there are major structural problems, it is likely cheaper to get it up and going than to completely removed it.

Likely the pool equipment is worthless if it has been sitting for 14 years (maybe the filter is salvageable). So you would at a minimum need a new pump and maybe a filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That's a big pig-in-a-poke issue. While you may be willing to accept it as-is there's no guarantee that it won't become an issue at resale. At the very least it's a negotiating point, but you're taking on a non-trivial 5-figure liability one way or the other.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you take any photos? post them if you can. That will explain a lot.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

It is a kidney shaped pool roughly 25ft at the widest two ends and 32ft long, sadly I have no idea how deep it is. I don't think it is vinyl or fiberglass due to its age. I dont know if it is original to the house, which was built in 1986, or an addition built quickly after.

I assumed a pump and filter would be the bare minimum to get it running again but didnt know if I could just replace those 2 items and be OK or just need to bite the bullet and get someone out to estimate a resurface job.

7. Back To Top    #7

Vinyl pools have been around since the 60's....

Until the pump and filter are inspected you really don't know...they could be fine.

Might just need a seal kit and new carts (if it's a cartridge filter)

Photos would fill in quite a few of the blanks here.

8. Back To Top    #8

I added some pictures to the OP

- - - Updated - - -

Did not know that about vinyl pools in the 60s, thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

whoa...I see what you mean....that image of the deck just makes me sad.

It would be very difficult if not impossible to assess it's needs without the decking all removed.

Could be a previous owner just didn't want to deal with it but liked the house.

Also could be it was seriously damaged and decking over it was the least costly option, but
    you said it's holding water so that's a good thing.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'll take pictures of what I can see from the little access door this evening and post them. I doubt I can see too much into the pool besides a few feet around the door.

11. Back To Top    #11

There's no way anybody would build that structure over a pool that didn't have major issues.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

You sure? I have heard of people that loved a home, but didn't want a pool and built a deck over it.
    There's a company that does just that.

Either way there's a ton of work to be done on this one.

13. Back To Top    #13

I've never seen anything like that. I'd definitely remove that wood and try and salvage the pool if possible.
    AGP 33' x 54" Lomart Verona, Approx. 27,300 gallons, Pentair cartridge filter/pump 2-speed, 1.5 hp, Dolphin Escape robotic cleaner.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    You sure?
    If I'm negotiating with the seller I am.
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

haha! indeed!

I took a chance with my current pool, it was half empty, green with
    liner torn out.

I wanted to pressure check the plumbing but the seller wouldn't allow it
    and promised it would not have any problems. (in writing)

Turned out to be fine, but I sure was nervous.

16. Back To Top    #16

Could be they covered it up because they could never control the algae and it wasnt enjoyable. Certianly not hard to have an awesome pool to enjoy if you just know how.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

17. Back To Top    #17

Well, thank you all for your time and advice. On our way to see the home 1 more time before we put in an offer. The house was grabbed out from under us without warning.
    The listing agent didnt even warn our agent about a possible offer so we lost it.
    Pools are not exactly common in southern Oklahoma so I dont know if I will be back in the future or not.
    Thank you all again.

18. Back To Top    #18

Open it! Open it!
    16x34 In-ground vinyl pool (22,000ish gallons), Sand Filter, K-2006 test kit, SWG

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by ITR6 View Post
    Well, thank you all for your time and advice. On our way to see the home 1 more time before we put in an offer. The house was grabbed out from under us without warning.
    The listing agent didnt even warn our agent about a possible offer so we lost it.
    Pools are not exactly common in southern Oklahoma so I dont know if I will be back in the future or not.
    Thank you all again.
    I know it's kind of disappointing right now, but it might also be someone looking out for you! We had a similar situation 3 years ago, when we put an offer on a house after much negotiation. At the 11th hour, someone magically showed up to make a higher offer (mind you this house had been on the market for a year). We figured the agents were playing games, so we said c'est la vie and walked away. Turns out, the house had mold and rotting masonite (we found out later), and within 2 months we found our dream house we are in now. So things happen for a reason sometimes, and you may have just avoided a huge money pit.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    I know it's kind of disappointing right now, but it might also be someone looking out for you! We had a similar situation 3 years ago, when we put an offer on a house after much negotiation. At the 11th hour, someone magically showed up to make a higher offer (mind you this house had been on the market for a year). We figured the agents were playing games, so we said c'est la vie and walked away. Turns out, the house had mold and rotting masonite (we found out later), and within 2 months we found our dream house we are in now. So things happen for a reason sometimes, and you may have just avoided a huge money pit.
    Thank you for this. That is what I keep telling myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast