Pool light problem

I removed the light fixture housing and replaced the bulb and installed a new rubber gasket. I reinstalled the light housing into the niche (below water) per the specific instructions and reinstalled the single screw. When I flipped the switch the light bulb came on for about 3 seconds before it turned off. I walked away and tried it again later and it did the same thing later on. I again removed the housing from the niche and brought the bulb inside to see if it was still good. The bulb worked fine inside a different light bulb socket in my garage. I again reinstalled the bulb in the light housing and reinstalled the housing in the niche. I flipped the switch and the light bulb did not illuminate. I removed the fixture again and brought the bulb inside again to test it in a different light bulb socket. The bulb worked inside the garage light fixture (again). The pool light breaker in the panel never tripped. If it had tripped I believe this would mean that I need a new light housing. Is there a way to fix my existing light housing or do I need to buy a new one that comes with the electrical cable from the manufacturer. It is about $160 for a new one and it will require that I rerun the wire to the switch but I am not an electrician so not sure whether to try this despite the Utube video's online which makes it look easy. Help ?

Mark J

Unless we can see the fixture we can't help you. The problem could be in the fixture or the junction box. How old is the fixture?

If you do not have experience running wire through conduit I would hire that out. This is more serious than changing a light switch.

The cord on the back of the fixture does not go to the switch. It goes to a junction box . Probably near the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.