Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover that doesn't deteriorate over 2 years?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover that doesn't deteriorate over 2 years?

I'm a little tired of replacing my BLUE SOLAR cover every 2 years after small blue pieces start floating around & ending in my Skimmer basket. And these things aren't inexpensive! Yea, I get it that the SUN & Chlorine suck the life out of them. We actually remove it & store it away from sunlight about 5 months of the year - over winter time. (California) The last 3 we bought from Leslie's pools. Are THEIR brands just inferior, or are ALL of these problematic?

Has anyone found a brand & thickness that actually LASTS more than a couple of years? Is the added expense worth it or do you just toss yours every couple of years

Any advice or link to some recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover that doesn't deteriorate over 2 years?

I haven't found one that lasts more than a couple years. I stay away from the 8mil covers even though they are cheaper. I bought one once since none of them seem to last very long and it started falling apart after one year.
    10,000 gal Inground Fiberglass Pool;Aquarite SWG; Hayward H Series Gas Heater;
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks ... yea, my last 3 have all been 12 MIL ... all no more than about 2 - 2.5 years though. Ugh ... why why why ? ....
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm on my 3rd season with the space age one with blue top and silver bottom. Some bubbles are broken but havent got pieces yet. Probably toss it this fall.
    https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Canva.../dp/B004VU8GY2
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

You might get one lasting 4 or 5 years, but they have really really heavy. I made the mistake of getting a long-lasting cover and I don't use it because it is nearly impossible to get on and off.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by banditig View Post
    I'm on my 3rd season with the space age one with blue top and silver bottom. Some bubbles are broken but havent got pieces yet. Probably toss it this fall.
    https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Canva.../dp/B004VU8GY2
    I checked the reviews on that ... not good ... Guess you are one of the lucky ones. Thanks though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kcindc View Post
    You might get one lasting 4 or 5 years, but they have really really heavy. I made the mistake of getting a long-lasting cover and I don't use it because it is nearly impossible to get on and off.
    Good point.. Maybe I'll just stick with the 12 MIL one at AMAZON & expect 2 years of use ... It's cheaper ($112) than Leslie's pools & looks like the same product they sell for like almost $200 ! Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

That is pretty typical. We recommend thin and cheap. 8 mil is easier to handle, works just as well and lasts just as long.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks !!! (again .. )

9. Back To Top    #9

Just get it from ebay.... last one I bought was a 12 mil USA made cover that 34 x18 for around $70 shipped to my door. Couldn't beat the price anywhere local or off amazon.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the info.

11. Back To Top    #11

yep ebay is the best option, the prices are always lower and usually include free shipping.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.