Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mysterious overnight water loss

1. Back To Top    #1

Mysterious overnight water loss

So early yesterday evening, I cleaned the pool, the water was a bit low, so I topped it off to where it should be, set the pump timer for 12 hours and left it alone. Apparently, there was a storm during the evening, and when I went out to look at the pool, the water was a few inches LOWER than where I left it. The skimmer was full of pine needles and leaves, so I cleaned those out. I can see water trickling out of the drain hose, but the valve is set on filter. I set the valve to CLOSE and water still trickles out. The ground and street don't look like water has been draining overnight. I'm at a loss as to where the water went.

I did look around the exterior of the pool looking for a leak, but I couldn't see any (but I had just rained last night).
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mysterious overnight water loss

If you catch the water coming out of the drain hose in a bucket, measure and time it you'd be able to see how much water is being wasted. If you know how much water it takes to drop an inch, you can see how much of the loss is from the drain line.
    TF-100 kit, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer. Still in early stages of pool planning

3. Back To Top    #3

Quick Update: I did more testing/cleaning. As long as the valves were open to and from the pump/filter, water would leak out the drain no matter what the valve was set on. I could set the valve on closed, or filter, or whatever, but water would trickle out the waste line.

Maybe the 6-way valve has failed or the gasket inside it (I took it apart and cleaned the gasket, lubed it up, and put it all back together) has failed?
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Sounds like a spider gasket issue. It might need to just be re-positioned or you might need to replace it.

Make sure to turn the value in only one direction (I only move mine clockwise) as it should help make it last longer.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

5. Back To Top    #5

I called Intex, and they don't sell the spider gaskets. So instead, I was going to replace the whole 6-way valve, but they are out of stock and have no ETA for more. They just told me to check back in 2 weeks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Until a new part comes in run the hose over the side of the pool so you don't lose all the water. You could also choose to invest in a new sand filter and pump. Something like a Pentair or Hayward brand will have replacement parts that are much easier to find when needed.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Did you inspect the gasket? Sometimes you can just get by with realigning and lubing it with pool lube.

Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile