Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor recommended shock level

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor recommended shock level

Moderator note - M over from this thread. Can't kill this algae

Taylor recommends a 30 ppm level for algie Shock. I have recently purchased a Taylor fas Dpd kit. He booklet is excellent

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't kill this algae

Deer Valley, care to tell us what "Taylor" bases that on and the source document please? We base our SLAM FC on the CYA level in the pool.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Valley View Post
    Taylor recommends a 30 ppm level for algie Shock. I have recently purchased a Taylor fas Dpd kit. He booklet is excellent
    Welcome.

That's a heck of a first post.....

Shock FC level is 40% of your CYA.

Im looking through my Taylor book that came with my K2006 and see that on page 29 they state to "super shock to 30ppm to satisfy any chlorine demand" "around once a week". That is poor advise. (That is actually the first time I've read that book).

We chlorinate based on accurate test results.

I have not "super chlorinated" my pool all season, and it's been open since April.

I suggest you you spend some time reading through Pool School to fully understand what we recommend.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe the quote from page 29 of the Taylor 2006 Chemistry guide when referring to a 30 ppm FC level is for the "initial shock" for a newly filled pool (see point #2) Or in other words, the first fill. It's to"cleanse the newly added source water." It looks to me to be a one time addition upon initially filling the pool..they call this super chlorination

Point #5 says to "super chlorinate as required." I don't think they mean weekly..
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

5. Back To Top    #5

There is absolutely no reason for an initial shock for a newly filled pool with a municipal source. I wish for the term "super chlorinate" to die a horrible death.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I read the information in the Taylor manual again. And, in the paragraph before the 5 points are listed on page 29 it does say to super chlorinate weekly or as needed. My apologies to domct203, you read it right.....
    Anyway, death to the term.....
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.