Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 week old Hayward pump dead

1. Back To Top    #1

2 week old Hayward pump dead

Hey guys. I have a Super flow mayrix 1hp 2 speed. Go out this morning and it's not on. Only humming noise. Brining it for warranty and ordered another pump to have as backup. Is this normal for a Hayward pump?

Will my pool balance be OK fr a day??

12' x 24' (21100 gal) Doughboy Desert Spring w/ Deep End, Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed,
    Hayward S210T Pro Series, Hayward H100ID1 H-Series , Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ AquaTrol Salt, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 week old Hayward pump dead

Definitely not normal, but with motors ... anything can happen. Your water should be fine for one day. If it gets delayed further, you may want to slowly pour some bleach around and manually mix it as best as you can. A pump that new shouldn't be "frozen" inside from dirt or rust preventing it from turning. Perhaps it's a capacitor issue. Others may reply with detailed self-testing ideas and perhaps a good DIY repair. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well Hayward is awesome

After local authorized suppliers refused to fix as I bought it on amazon, Hayward is sending me a new pump and I can keep the old one. Time to learn how to fix it now!

12' x 24' (21100 gal) Doughboy Desert Spring w/ Deep End, Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed,
    Hayward S210T Pro Series, Hayward H100ID1 H-Series , Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ AquaTrol Salt, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Great news!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Being a Master Electrician and when a customers ask me how long will something last, I say a minimum from the time you flip the switch to forever..
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's a great way to look at it!

So here is the capacitor. Thoughts? I can get a new one for 15 bucks

7. Back To Top    #7

Might be the best $15 bucks you spent on a pool repair. Hope it does the trick.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Me too.

9. Back To Top    #9

Easy and cheap fix, and you have a new spare pump to boot! Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Wraenking View Post
    That's a great way to look at it!

So here is the capacitor. Thoughts? I can get a new one for 15 bucks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

Just replacing the capacitor is no guarantee motor will work. If you have a multi-meter with no power applied you can ohm motor.

Here is an excellent link INYOpools to check motor How To Use a Multimeter to Test a Pool Pump Motor - Winding Resistance - INYOPools.com

I hope motor is good and $15.00 is a cheap fix.

Good Luck and be Safe.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

11. Back To Top    #11

I do have a good meter. I'll try that. Thanks!