Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward vs. Pentair THE DEBATE

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward vs. Pentair THE DEBATE

Hi All,

I hear different opinions from every plumber I have give me a quote and this phase. PENTAIR VS. HAYWARD. I have heard every side of it from Pentair is built better. To Hayward has much better customer service and pentair will always give you the run around. Is there any real difference or truths to all this. System will be fully automated with iPhone remote system. Is there any real difference between Omnilogic and Easytouch? Do any of the actual pieces of equipment work better or last longer?

Thank you all for your help as I just cannot seem to make this decision!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward vs. Pentair THE DEBATE

Nope. It is ford v Chevy. Dealer v dealer. There are good and bad everywhere. Your best bet is to find a great PB and buy what they sell. My PB has a great relationship with Pentair and their local distributor and has no issues with warranty claims or service calls. I'm sure the story is the same for good PB'S who use Hayward. The PB's who can't get warranty service are most often the ones who aren't good customers to begin with. I am sure that Hayward and Pentair will both go out of their way to take care of their customers.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

For automation, the most important thing is to use a single brand name so that everything integrates together smoothly. I concur with the Ford vs. Chevy theory as to which is the better.

Jim R
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good point! Ford computers can't control Chevy engines.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

For automation I pick Pentair.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

i prefer jandy automation over my pentair. it was just more user friendly with the iaqualink vs easytouch.
    19K IG Pebbletec with attached spa. 60sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS, 399k BTU Gas Heater, Pentair IC40. Phoenix, AZ, full sun.

7. Back To Top    #7

Pentair Screen logic makes it pretty easy. It is usually folks without Screen logic who have trouble programming their automation.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Just don't pick a Hayward heater.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    Just don't pick a Hayward heater.
    I second that. Ha ha ha.....
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Pentair Screen logic makes it pretty easy. It is usually folks without Screen logic who have trouble programming their automation.
    Totally NOT true!! (You and Brian must be in league!!) I can program my EasyTouch just fine using my old school RF remote. Monochrome 3-line LCDs forever!!!!

(Then again, I do prefer reverse-Polish notation (RPN) calculators, so that right there should be your first warning sign....)
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

I have had serious problems with my Pentair pumps, Pentair heaters and Pentair SWGs. My Pentair lights, on the other hand, are the bomb.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Totally NOT true!! (You and Brian must be in league!!) I can program my EasyTouch just fine using my old school RF remote. Monochrome 3-line LCDs forever!!!!

(Then again, I do prefer reverse-Polish notation (RPN) calculators, so that right there should be your first warning sign....)
    Wait, what? I am not even going to Google that to see if it is really a thing!
    TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Wait, what? I am not even going to Google that to see if it is really a thing!
    And I own a slide-rule....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

14. Back To Top    #14

Ah, RPN, makes me want to go grab my 48GX, I even know right where it is, complete with the hard copy manuals.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~