Yes, another Autopilot sizing question + total control question

GaryT58

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 26, 2016
Monroe, GA
Sorry, I looked over other threads with sizing questions, and have not found a good formula for helping to determine which size SWG to purchase.

History - got a new 19,000 gallon (approx 39x16 up to 8' deep) pool in May. I live in Georgia outside of ATL. Current weather is mid to upper 90s air temp. Pool gets pretty much full sun from about 8:30am - 6pm. Before I added some water jets to the returns, the water temp was into the 90s. With the jets running at night the water temp is about 78 in the morning to about 82 by night fall. Knew little about SWG and relied on installer, who put in an Eco-matic ESC6000. This unit is not keeping FCL even at 1ppm and reading up on unit, it would seem to be grossly undersized for this area. So I want to replace that unit with something better.

So from research and reading reviews here, I am leaning towards the Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital or Total Control.

[edit] Deleted a couple of questions as I found good info on the site - thanks.

A question is what size to get. I am "thinking" the RC-52 would be good and oversized enough. From my conditions, would that be a good size/still pushing it/too big?

Thanks in advance. I wish I had done all this research before the install, but we were anxious to get installed, and didn't realize the complexity of the selection of the SWG.

Generally, most recommend sizing 2-3 times the pool volume but if you don't want to run the pool very long each day, that might not even be big enough.

1. Sizing is all about the # of hours you want/need to run the pump, the average daily FC loss and the amount of Chlorine the unit can produce. See the chart below as it will help you determine hours that you would have to run the pump based on the output of the RC-52 and your daily FC loss.

I don't have any knowlege to help with your other questions.

Thanks for the program. I am going to shut off my existing SWG for a day and control with chlorine only to determine my approximate daily FC demand. Will plug that in and try the different cell size options (24 hr swg fc production) with the autopilot to check run times vs output %age to help me decide the size.

A rearranged version of the calculator, which I may attempt, would be nice where it has some common SWG FC Production values (or enter some from manufacturer you are checking out) and enter the desired run time and and pool size, and it will show you SWG output %age needed for each of the entered cells. That way you can get an idea if they are 50%, 75%, 120% which would best meet your desired need.

Again, thanks, this tool will definitely help me make my choice. Would rather oversize it than get stuck having to run at 100% for 20 hours/day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.