Hayward T15 High Salt/Amps Spa Only

CFM56-7

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Feb 7, 2016
Gilbert/AZ
Hi all, quick question: My T15 cell with Aqualogic controller is giving me an occasional High Salt/Amps error code when I have the valves set to SPA. I have never seen the error in Pool mode. Is this an early sign that my board needs to be resoldered/replaced? Is there some unpublished minimum number of gallons required for proper operation?

I run the SWG on a timer while in SPA mode. I have plenty of water exchange between the pool/spa during the spillover cycle so I'm not overly concerned with hot tube chlorine levels. Do I just shut off the SWG in SPA mode or is this a sign of a worse failure mode to come?

Salt level is at 3700 per the TF100 add on salt test which agrees +-100 with the SWG readout when it is functioning correctly.

I appreciate any thoughts or insight!
CFM

The pool water and spa temperatures are the same for the most part. I only heat the spa as needed, which hasn't been for quite some time. Although pool/spa temps have been hovering around the low 90's.

I'll start with turning off the SWG in spa mode and hope that's all it is.

Thanks!

3700 is too high for temperatures over 85 f. Check your amps in diagnostics.

With temperatures in the low 90s, your salt should be closer to the low end of the range (2800 to 3000) to prevent high amp error.

If you have a heater, especially a big btu heater, before the cell then you are almost definitely going to get a high amps error with salt over 3,000 and temperatures over 90 when the heater runs.

When I watch diagnostics, it always runs around 7.2 amps. I haven't actually caught the indicated amp level right before it trips off. A 400,000btu is plumbed in, but the heater isn't running when I notice the high salt/amps error.

Of course, any time I try to replicate the problem, everything works normally. I occasionally wake up to the error indication on the indoor remote which is the only way I know it is going on.

I still don't understand why in pool mode it works flawlessly but in spa mode it has the error. Spa isn't heated, just a smaller body of water.

CFM

That's probably what is going on. I'm not sure where I got 3700ppm salt to be normal, but I checked the manual today and 3400ppm is the high end of the normal range. I guess I do in fact have high salt and the higher temperatures are causing this problem which simply hasn't manifested itself previously.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll turn off the SWG in SPA mode and if the POOL mode starts having this problem, I'll do a partial drain/refill to get my salt levels in line.

This site is awesome!

CFM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.